• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep leafs or go to 4 link?

Coilovers also have the benefit of being able to change the spring rate and length when you inevitably guess/calculate wrong since no one makes an XJ with rear 4-link spring.

100% agreed. The cost of coilovers has come down so much that IF I ever did a 4 link they would be an integral piece of the build.

Okay, so I decided to do the following:

I already have the HD offroad relocated shack boxes, so I'm good there.

I ordered a pair of the boostworks comp shackles and decided on the OME 3.5” springs. I'll see where this puts me (height wise) and then decide what I do from there. If it levels it out with the front, fine. If it doesn't, I'll probably look into getting a slightly shorter front spring. As I said, I was happy with 4.5" of lift as it got over everything I did.

I wrote a long reply that got bagged...

I vote triangulated 4 link with triangulated shocks.. No track bar needed.. Sexy flexy! From tow to rock just felt better in my Zj.

One day ill do the same on my X

Looks like that was late and a decision was made... My thought was- If its a question... Is it even a question?

Then there is wants < Needs and what budget dictates. The 4 link was superior in every way imo tho

I've ran both. The 3 link unloaded unpredictably , also had less travel.

For leafs, ive ran deavers with a 6" shackle and 2.5" air bumps. Then needed more height so did some shackle boxes. Rode great on and offroad. good travel around 12"

I ended up needing a little more capacity if i wanted to tow an offroad trailer and ended up with RE 5.5" leafs. Which for an off the shelf spring are amazing. They are longer than the deaver G9's that i was running. They can use all the travel from a 14" shock thru the bed. Speed bumps are non-existent for the rear end, front end still alittle stiff. Jeep sees 120 miles a day and i cannot say enough good things about the way the rear end works.

For leafs, ive ran deavers with a 6" shackle and 2.5" air bumps. Then needed more height so did some shackle boxes. Rode great on and offroad. good travel around 12"

I ended up needing a little more capacity if i wanted to tow an offroad trailer and ended up with RE 5.5" leafs. Which for an off the shelf spring are amazing. They are longer than the deaver G9's that i was running. They can use all the travel from a 14" shock thru the bed. Speed bumps are non-existent for the rear end, front end still alittle stiff. Jeep sees 120 miles a day and i cannot say enough good things about the way the rear end works.

With leaf springs ???

Having run the RE 5.5" leafs and Deavers both multiple times, I think you're just trying to convince yourself you made a good purchase.

There's no way the RE leaf is using up all of a 14" shock unless you have a stupid long shackle and none of it is sprung. And there's no way it out performs G9's.

A 3 linked front? Or are we talking rear 3 link? I thought it was common knowledge that the rear performs best with a triangulated 4 link, no track bar and of course coil overs are Boss. Can you explain if talkimg rear?

Now if we are talking front, true three link not the Y... I cant see your statement as accurate. 3 long arms counting 2 lowers (preferably in line with axle, but even at original mounting points) and the driver upper all running to the (new) trans x member is really the best optiom for mkat travel. Only limiter being limiting straps, bumpstops, and or shocks.

So idk.. Confused by that statement.

I get the leafspring love- mostly by us old skewlers.. But its just false advertising IMO. There is a reason TJs and beyond are coil sprung all-around- demand for maximum performance.
Having had both- there is no comparison. And Id have to agree that G9s>RE

Just my $.02 no shade intended

Having run the RE 5.5" leafs and Deavers both multiple times, I think you're just trying to convince yourself you made a good purchase.

There's no way the RE leaf is using up all of a 14" shock unless you have a stupid long shackle and none of it is sprung. And there's no way it out performs G9's.

And this is coming from the guy that used to buy my old parts. You should know I dont pay for most of my parts. You should also know if you tow a trailer with a 400 lb tongue weight that the deavers arent happy with that load. SO yes, the RE work better for me as im not sitting on my bumpstops when the trailer is hooked up.

And yes the coil spring had less travel. It kept everything under the body where as the leaf setup has shock towers thru the bed. Think of the old teraflex and rockkrawler rear coil conversions. 10" travel, thats all. Now if you go thru the body you can do more, but you are limited on what you can do without doing that.

And this is coming from the guy that used to buy my old parts. You should know I dont pay for most of my parts. You should also know if you tow a trailer with a 400 lb tongue weight that the deavers arent happy with that load. SO yes, the RE work better for me as im not sitting on my bumpstops when the trailer is hooked up.

And yes the coil spring had less travel. It kept everything under the body where as the leaf setup has shock towers thru the bed. Think of the old teraflex and rockkrawler rear coil conversions. 10" travel, thats all. Now if you go thru the body you can do more, but you are limited on what you can do without doing that.

Part. One, singular. Which having bought a used part 15 years ago has nothing to do with this conversation. ;)

And Deaver's are fine with the tongue weight, you just have to specify that when ordering and have them adjust the pack for it. :)

There's still no way RE's leaves are using all of a 14" shock unless you have a stupid long shackle, and its all shackle swing.

Back