• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp gauge acting crazy

rockreadyyj

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj 4.0 we went wheeling last weekend and a couple hours through the trail the check engine light came on and then the temp gauge started going from 210 all the way the the red then back to 210 then to 100 back and fourth pauseing randomly. the jeep was running fine, not hot at all. i tried changing the sensor and it didn't change anything anyone ran into this. any ideas. its still doing it
thanks
mike

Try changing your thermastat. Also check your water pump. When my water pump went it wasnt leaking but my temp gauge was jumping around everywhere.

its not actually running hot the guage ismoving too fast for that its got to be electrical. i am thinking its the computer any ideas

it happend to me too, i unplugged the o2 plug(wire part) and found it was full of water, so i cleaned it an added some dielectric grease and never did it again!

Here's another good one. My son's 88XJ temp gauge pegs all the way out, but only when he turns on his headlights! Then as you dim the interior/instrument lights it goes back down like a rheostat switch! Bet no one has heard of this and if so, enlighten me!

Here's another good one. My son's 88XJ temp gauge pegs all the way out, but only when he turns on his headlights! Then as you dim the interior/instrument lights it goes back down like a rheostat switch! Bet no one has heard of this and if so, enlighten me!

I know this thread is really old but this is exactly what I'm looking for right now. I'm trying to help a buddy fix up his 88 and it is a mess in every way. What the heck do the lights have to do with the temp gauge! Somebody help please!:dunno:

If you changed out the temp sensor already, then the problem would most likely be in the wiring/connector for that circuit OR possibly (not probably) the gauge itself. Good Luck!

Back