• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 8.8 swap driveshaft issue

smallredxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering what driveshaft should I use for a XJ 8.25-8.8 swap. I only have about 3 inches of lift so will my stock shaft work? I've heard that the stock shaft may be to short, in this case what else could I use, the explorer shaft? I've also heard the D35 XJ shaft is longer, would that work? I planned on using a stock ford flange with an adaptor U Joint, would this affect my length?

Are you going to buy a conversion yoke for the 8.8, IIRC they use a "flange" yoke vs a u-bolt/strap yoke?

Do you have an fixed yoke on the t case? I didn't have any issues with mine but have an sye on it. I also ran a 1310-1330 joint to adapt it. The factory slip yoke may not have enough travel in it tho. Really you need to get it assembled and see where everything is at.

Do you have an fixed yoke on the t case? I didn't have any issues with mine but have an sye on it. I also ran a 1310-1330 joint to adapt it. The factory slip yoke may not have enough travel in it tho. Really you need to get it assembled and see where everything is at.

Nah it’s still the stock slip yoke. That’s what I was concerned about. Is it possible to have the stock shaft lengthened? I’m assuming that would be less expensive than a custom shaft.

Nah it’s still the stock slip yoke. That’s what I was concerned about. Is it possible to have the stock shaft lengthened? I’m assuming that would be less expensive than a custom shaft.

You can, but if you’re going to spend that money just do the SYE now and be done with it.

I was lifted 3.5” and was fine with a stock shaft, also 8.25 to 8.8, but the u joint on the t case end chewed itself up about a year after

Don't assume that a rebuilt OEM shaft will be cheaper than an aftermarket. I spent way more trying to get an OEM shaft up to par than I did on the aftermarket one that I ended up replacing it with. Not saying it can't be done; just don't assume. Get quotes both ways before proceeding.

Another thing to look at is the clearance between the muffler and the driveshaft. The aftermarket shaft I got had the bellows that seals the slip joint vs the style that requires greasing. The heat from the muffler broke down the rubber and it eventually shredded itself. I had to use a round body Magnaflow muffler to get enough clearance.

Will the 1330/1310 U Joint and stock ford yoke on not work? It was my understanding you could use a conversion yoke or a adapter U Joint with stock ford flange yoke.

1310 vs 1330 isn't the issue , it's dealing with the flange.

1310 vs 1330 isn't the issue , it's dealing with the flange.

As long as you grabbed the original flange off the old shaft/car it's not an issue. There are people making 1310 flanges but I used a conversion joint and never had an issue. They were cheap so I grabbed a spare too. I would highly recommend doing an sye now with a good shaft. If you don't and do it later you will have to shim or reweld the perches.

So the stock shaft ended up being to short so I dropped the bomb on an sye and new driveshaft. I figured I might as well be proactive considering I’ll probably need it eventually. Thank you guys for all the help.

Back