• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer package?

IndianaJohn

NAXJA Forum User
My thanks for the help with my rear defrost problem! Now I need some info on the factory tow package.
My 98 Sport has the Mopar receiver hitch installed, however it does not have the trailer light socket. And it does not appear to have been removed by a PO as far as I can tell, as I don't see any loose wiring hanging down. However, a PO may have gotten the hitch from a salvage yard and installed it. So I'm wondering if it could have came from the factory with the hitch installed but no light wiring? I doubt it, but? Is there any sure way to tell if it came with the factory tow package?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could beb there still. Check behind the rear quarter panel plastic behind the spare. I've seen them tucked back there from the factory. That is where the factory harness plugs in also.

As suggested, just check behind spare tire and plastic trim. If you install trailer wiring, be sure to get the plug-n-play type adapter and not a universal fit.

And I just had that opened up a couple of days ago while I was sorting out my rear defrost problem..... wish I'd known about it then. Oh well, guess I'll have to open it up again when I get a chance. Thanks!

Well, I dodged the raindrops this afternoon to open up that left rear corner again. The only harnesses I saw plugging into the main harness were the ones going to the left rear taillight and up to the hatch. I didn't even see any place for a trailer harness to plug into. The only empty connector I found was a white connector with a single blue wire coming out of the main harness. Don't know what that was for.

Plug and Play trailer wiring is usually a T adapter. A blue wire is usually for hooking up trailer brakes.

I guess I should have taken my test light to that blue wire while I had that opened up. Didn't think about it at the time. So the stock trailer wiring tees into the main harness back there too? So if I find another Jeep in a salvage yard with the trailer wiring, I can just plug it into mine?

If the donor is a 97-01, yes it will fit any other 97-01.

Google XJ Cherokee trailer wiring adapter and see what it is you are looking for.

The blue wire isn't hooked up to anything, it's usually curled up under the driver front kick awaiting a brake controller!

To add:
IIRC, the 5K lb Factory Trailer setup had the Factory Hitch , and an lighting Isolator/adapter assembly behind the spare tire. Can't miss it, it's huge and has relays on it to control the trailer's turn signals.

Well, looks like my Jeep must have a salvage yard donor on it then. I know it's a factory hitch, as it has the "MOPAR" sticker on it and the bracket for the trailer socket just like the factory hitch on my 99 Ram. Oh well, guess I'll have to scavenge the wiring somewhere then. Don't really need a brake controller with my little trailer, but maybe I can find another use for that blue wire...

I have a 2001 without the hitch (trailer tow package). Can I get a factory wire harness and plug it in or is the harness different?

The wiring harness is the same. You have to buy a converter/adapter for the trailer wiring.

So its not just get the factory harness and plug and play? I've just had bad luck with aftermarket trailer wiring and wanted to stay factory if possible.

No, you "HAVE" to get the converter.

You might want to request a "build sheet" from the factory. Free.

A build sheet will tell you about what, exactly, was put on your car when it
left the factory.

I don't know if this link still works, but try this unofficial site on how-to get one:

http://jeepsies.com/jeep-build-sheet/

A factory tow package will include heavier duty suspension springs and shocks, slightly
thicker front sway bar (26mm), a transmission cooler, as well as a heavy duty gear lube
that was installed in the rear differential at the factory.

When I got my own build sheet, I found out all sorts of things about my car that I
otherwise wouldn't know about. Example; my car came from the factory with the
optional 118 amp alternator (stock = 90 amps). Externally, the two alternators
look the same. Also, I previously suspected that my car came with the Limited
package (there's no obvious badging to indicate this). My build sheet verified this.

Correction:

The tow package on 2WD cars, and non-tow package 4WD, had the 26mm front sway bar.

The 4WD cars w/ tow package had a 28mm front sway bar.

I never take my 2WD w/ tow package car off road. One day I put a 28mm front sway bar
on it ($12, from a self-pick yard). I'll never go back. The car is much more stable on
twisty paved mountain roads and freeway ramps, and while being buffeted by strong winds.

Back