• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crown Victoria 8.8

Harvo

NAXJA Forum User
I can get an 8.8 rear off of a wrecked 97 police edition Crown Victoria. It has disc brakes already like the desirable Explorer rears. Does anyone know a reason why it wouldn't work just like the explorer 8.8? I know the gears will be really high and wack, but it should accept a carrier change just like anything else right? Does anyone know if the spline count is the same as the Explorer? Has anyone else ever used a crown vic rear?

I haven't looked at it yet but for $100 is sounds promising.

Thanks

check the WMS to WMS measurement. The exploder rears are about 1.5" smaller than the stock cherokee axles, and the Ranger 8.8's are about 3.5" shorter (wms to wms) than the stock cherokee axles... making spacers needed to look the same...

I think it's 28 spline.

The width of an explorer 8.8 is 59.5" wheel mounting surface to surface. If the Vic width is wider, it may be worth it in shorting some longer 31 spline shafts. The explorer rear is about 1.5" narrower than the XJ, and is off-center. Post the width if you figure it out.

I've an 8.8 and you never break it with the 4.0L motor.

If I am not mistaken the crown vic 8.8 has less splines like the mustang. the carrier can be changed. Also does the housing have a bracket in the center of the diff like a mustang rear end. you'll have to check the tag numbers to be sure on the ratio, and spline count/axle diameter.

that's a 28 spline c clip rear end. I think there are better and easier alternatives out there.
For a low-buck upgrade for the Dana 35, I would run the 97+ Chrysler 8.25 with junkyard ZJ discs. That would give you a reasonably strong bolt in diff as well as the discs you are looking for.

Didn't know that about the 8.8 offset. What do most guys do? Just run them like that? I guess with a CV driveshaft it doesn't matter much does it?

I can get one of those with 4.10 gears already in it. With the 4.0 and the auto tranny what would be the ideal gears for 33's? 4.10s or 4.88s?

If I can get away with 4.10s then all I have to do is throw a lock right in and change the front then I'm done.

bolt pattern would be right on, width prolly too narrow, spline count maybe 31 since its out of a cop crown vic

The big difference between car vs truck 8.8's are the process used to make the tubes, truck tubes are a good deal stronger

Harvo said:
Didn't know that about the 8.8 offset. What do most guys do? Just run them like that? I guess with a CV driveshaft it doesn't matter much does it?

I can get one of those with 4.10 gears already in it. With the 4.0 and the auto tranny what would be the ideal gears for 33's? 4.10s or 4.88s?

If I can get away with 4.10s then all I have to do is throw a lock right in and change the front then I'm done.

the offset aint bad, depending on the amount of lift i can be run with no SYE. But normally it requires an SYE.

33s and 4.10s comes out feelin like 31s on 3.55 gears so you would be fine

Back