• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I get a XK or WK??? Commander or GC

IndyXJ

Member #1314
So, it's time to sell the Saturn of my fiance and get a real baby hauler. We really dig the Commanders(4.7 Liter) and some of the Grands. Thank you XJStryker for your message as well with your Commander experience.
We can't seem to narrow down which would be better of the two. No, they wouldn't be new. Either an 06/07 Commander and a slightly older Grand.

Thanks for any opinions or experiences.

I had a rental WK about a year ago. It was ok...
It has good storage space. Enough for a couple of guys to go camping.
it was peppy enough for a DD, not sure which engine it had.
The suspension was superb. (again im comparing to XJ) felt like i was riding on air.
Even got to test out the 4wd in Sedona AZ on a few dirt/rock roads.
(wasnt to thrilled about the ground clearance.)

My biggest complaint was visibility. The A-Pillar is honkin huge!! It must have airbags in it. Also, i didnt like how sloped the windsheild was, it felt like i was in an airplane.
( but hey, my DD is an aerodynamic brick)

Overall i think it would make a pretty good family vehicle.
But i like the XK as well, i love the styling and it might be better if you plan on having a larger family.

My wife just got an '08 WK, like IH8EPA said, very comfy the A-pillar is big. Its got all sorts of crazy options, I'm still learning how to use. The gas isn't great, she got the HEMI, but if you take it easy its not bad.
We taken it on a few road trips already and loved it the whole way there and back!
Take a run by the dealership, if they have '08s left they will probably be giving them away.

We have a Grand, we both love it.
It gets great gas mileage for a V-8, it has the 4.6.
It has lots of room, I can ride in the back seat.
I like the look more than the commander also.

We have had both a 4.7 Commander and now the hemi version.

I really liked the 4.7, but the hemi brought a screaming deal so we traded.

Either of them is a great vehicle. The Quadra drive 2 rules the road in snow.

Our 4.7 XK got about 18 average mpg and the hemi gets 14 even with MDS. My wife drives it like John Force though. When I drive, I get 20 on the interstate.

BTW, the XK and WK are the same vehicle platform with a different body so don't expect to get a bunch of extra room with the Commander. They are the exact same size for the most part inside and out.

look into a 2004 Grand cherokee with the 4.7, They are Great vehicles, they ride smooth, I personally love the lines of the body, and the interior feels very luxurious.
The main reason i like them, is the solid axle front end. Easier to Maintain/durable. They are like a brand new car, but 1/3 of the price. you can find them for less then 10k with less the 70k miles..

But, then again, they are 5 years old now, and if your really wanting the new car Feel, I really like the commander hemi, Not sure if your wanting to modify it in anyway, but there is a lifted commander near my house that just looks stunning!

I test drove a 4.7 Commander and liked the ride but same thing with the A piller deal and gas. The GF is looking at a new jeep and odds are we will go after a GC. we don't have kids but two black labs so with them her and I and camping stuff plenty of room. Cousin has a GC with two kids and they all fit on the camping trips with one of those tire carrier racks on the back for a big cooler and other stuff. They say it's plenty of room.

I had one as a rental in Anchorage a few years ago and hated it. I guess mainly cause where the ignition is and am kinda tall my knee kept killing the ignition when i shifted from brake to gas. It was getting scarry since it was all snowy and icy.

BTW, the XK and WK are the same vehicle platform with a different body so don't expect to get a bunch of extra room with the Commander.

But but but the commercial said the Commander was the biggest Jeep EVER!!!!!!

:rof:

We've got a '07 WK w/ a V6 and have very few complaints about it. If it were the same price, I'd go with a 4.7, but it was quite a difference when we bought it (previous rental). The mileage isn't great, but w/ my driving style I can hardly complain.

Somebody PM'd me recently asking about it and I rambled for quite a while... I was going to post that, but I didn't save the PM. Sorry!

Billy

I much prefer the Commander. I find the interior of the Grand claustrophobic, kinda like a Toyota. I feel like I have to tilt my head to the side to keep from hitting the ceiling. I don't touch the ceiling, it's just a feeling when I sit in the vehicle.

I wish you could get the Commander with the diesel engine.

Never driven the new WKs but test drove an XK, probably an 05 or 06ish with the 4.7. It had reasonable power, my only real complaint was rear visibility with the 3rd row open for seating. The head rests almost completely block the back window. It rode nice though. At the time I hated it on account of copying the XJ style but now I wouldn't mind one.

Hmm, we picked up a cherry 97ZJ last year, Red too, need a rear end rebuild, couple of other little things that took me about 2 hours, tstat, door hinge bushings. Best $3k I spent in a long time. Comfortable, quiet, snazzy looker, looking at one for me with a 360 in it now for $2800, going to eyeball and test drive it tomorrow.

Somebody PM'd me recently asking about it and I rambled for quite a while... I was going to post that, but I didn't save the PM. Sorry!

Billy

Yea I think that was me, I didn't save it either. We did go with the 5.7L, the dealer couldn't move them, and they came so far down in price that I couldn't pass it up. I just go easy on the throttle.

The GF is looking at a new jeep and odds are we will go after a GC. we don't have kids but two black labs so with them her and I and camping stuff plenty of room.

If your going to put the back seat down for your dogs its going to be hard for them. My border collie, about the size of a lab, has a hard time there, when she is standing. The backs fold down onto the seat cushion so its not as low as the XJ is. In my XJ my dog is just the right height for the windows. In the WK she is to tall and I can't put the windows down the whole way, she would fly right out.

My wife and i would like to trade in our "mommy van" soon and get something new. We have driven the 4.7 Commander and the Grand. In my opinion the Commander "just feels right" when you drive it, and it will tow #7900 which is incredible for that size vehicle. They remind me of a XJ when you look out the windshield, that long flat hood gives you a warm feeling.

We plan on getting one hopefully when the auto dealers around here are willing to work with us and sell something. Right now they still want too much!

It actually tows 7200 with Hemi, but still great for what it is!

Your right, my bad! The 4.7 has a tow rating of 6900# or somewhere in there.

One of our locals uses his 5.7 Commander to tow his trail rig with and he says it does just fine here in the mountains. I drive my junk to the trail but I would love to have one to tow my bass boat with, my stock 90 XJ does OK but gets a little asthmatic on long hills.

Back