• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo gear sleeve and gear torn up

sartor

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all -

Any ideas as to what could cause this?

Highway driving and speedo/odo quit and threw the P0500 code. Had a guy pull the SYE tail housing off and he found that the speedo gear and the gear sleeve were both chewed up all the way around.

No other symptoms.

Put a new gear in and turned the sleeve around (because only 1/2 of the sleeve's gears were chewed up. Speedo worked for about 20 miles then quit again. I'll be we find another chewed up gear/sleeve.

What kinda vehicle ? A P0500 hints at OBD-II ?

Is the speedo sensor correctly indexed ?

Select the appropriate tooth gear range you just installed and rotate it until it is aligned with the raised dot on the transfer case as shown in the pic.

standard.jpg

Forgot. :)

1998 XJ 4wd 4.0
4.56/32”

Also if note, that speedo gear probably had 20,000 miles on it.

Is it possible for a VSS to fail in a manner that would prevent the speedo gear from spinning, and would then rip up the teeth on the sleeve?

What kinda vehicle ? A P0500 hints at OBD-II ?

Is the speedo sensor correctly indexed ?

Select the appropriate tooth gear range you just installed and rotate it until it is aligned with the raised dot on the transfer case as shown in the pic.

standard.jpg
It was. It worked for a good 20k.

looks & sounds like the sensor side of things locked up..........or if it had a cable, I'd say it seized.

That's what I was thinking. Wondering if it is even a possibility. A friend said that sometimes there may be a T-case shaft misalignment and it's putting pressure on the speedo gear and sleeve causing it to get chewed up. However, I have zero other symptoms.

Curious.

The gears have a lash adjustment by rotating the housing to compensate for gears with different numbers of teeth. Sounds like someone either got it way too loose or way to tight.

The gears have a lash adjustment by rotating the housing to compensate for gears with different numbers of teeth. Sounds like someone either got it way too loose or way to tight.

Interesting. I did not know that. I changed gears 3 times by pulling the gear and the little shaft out, pushing the new gear and attached shaft in, re-inserting everything back into the transfer case housing and bolting it in its original position,... the two groves cut into the base plate. Because of its design I take it for granted it would not fit any other way.

Back