• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help please, fuel pump not priming

Black_Black

NAXJA Forum User
I did all my seals, cleaned oil pump, no fuel pressure. Been cranking with no spark. Started for a few seconds and it sounds BAD. What should I do?

You have no spark and no fuel pressure, but it cranks?

When you say you did all your seals, what exactly do you mean? Did you replace the fuel tank sending unit O-ring? That would mean you had the pump out. Perhaps you damaged the wiring/broke a connector/broke an old, brittle fuel line.

Did you remove the distributor to replace the seal under it?

Some clarification of what you have done might help so folks can better advise you.

I got fuel pressure turning the pump with a screwdriver, thanks!! I was doing the renix distributor indexing now it seems my timing is 45 degrees off? I can't get it anywhere close to the rotor what's going on?

Sorry to double post. Things could only be 180 degrees off right? The harmonic balancer only goes on one way.. Been playing with it for a while

You got fuel pressure turning the pump with a screwdriver?

:confused::confused:

I got fuel pressure turning the pump with a screwdriver, thanks!! I was doing the renix distributor indexing now it seems my timing is 45 degrees off? I can't get it anywhere close to the rotor what's going on?

Reference http://cruiser54.com/?p=68 for the indexing. Make sure you got the wires back in the right spot. Some of the diagrams out there (Chiltons) have the wires rotated and in the wrong spot.

Yup, harmonic balancer is keyed and only goes on one way. Won't affect timing even if you could.

Did you mean you got oil pressure spinning the distributor? You could be 180* off on the distributor too.

Back