• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key stuck in ignition

Fishfinder

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ. The ignition lock cylinder will not rotate all the way back and release the key. The steering wheel will not lock when turned off. Any ideas, Solutions?

A light tap on the key with a screwdriver handle while you turn often works.

Is the steering wheel cranked hard one way? Try turning the steering wheel and the key at the same time.

yes what pcp said.
Lean on the steering wheel left/right and slowly turn the key.
it should come out.
I would not recommend using hammers around keycylinders. spray pbblaster/wd40 down there and gently lean on it

Mine does this now and again, just give it's some thuds with your plan and it should move normally. Maybe you'll need something harder to give a sharper hit, but it shouldn't take too much.

You haven't mentioned the steering wheel being locked so I assume this isn't related to that scenario.

Had this on my '96 a few years ago. In my case, I couldn't turn off the engine!

The ignition lock pushrod that activates the ignition switch (near the lower base of the
top of the steering column) was the culprit.

Remove the steering column cowl, and (maybe) the instrument gauge pack. You'll see
part of the rod on top of the steering column, disappearing deep into the dash.

Be sure that nothing is interfering or fouling the rod. Then spray it liberally with silicone
lube (let the lube dribble down the rod, onto the ignition switch) while jiggling it with a
pair of needle nosed pliers, and also try working the ignition key On & Off a few times
until everything works its way loose.

Back