• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Suspension Issues

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Nearly new (mileage, not time) OME (DPG) 3.5 rear leafs with matching shocks.

XJ is bottoming out on nearly any bumps. Yes, I have rear tire carrier, HiLift, Rotopax and recovery gear loaded. The spring appear flat to me. Missing rear driver's side bumpstop. But it does it with that stuff not onboard.

Looking for recommendations to replace the rear springs, possibly the shocks and definitely get new bumpstops. Looking at Rubicon Express springs but they say 3.5" will accommodate 31" tires - I have 33 x 10.5s, albeit with trimmed fenders and Rusty's steel fender/flares.

The upper shock mount has been relocated per instructions from DPG at install.
Simply measure distance between mounts to determine shock length needed?

3.5" Springs?
Shocks?
Bumpstops? Don't care if they're rubber, poly, del-a-lum.. whatever.

Diagnostic technique advice welcome as well.

Have had this issue for a couple years and ended up parking it for the most part. Elk hunting the past few weeks made me really want it setup correctly, it's just too well built to let this take it out of service.

Thanks in advance. I'm not much of a member these days due to this (I think I'm still enrolled/paid) but want to get back on this thing.

post a pic of the shackle box area with the weight of the veicle on it....

Why are you sure it bottoms out ? Sounds ?

The shackle could be hitting the bumper mounting bolts...

post a pic of the shackle box area with the weight of the veicle on it....

Why are you sure it bottoms out ? Sounds ?

The shackle could be hitting the bumper mounting bolts...

Sags when stationary.
Seat of the pants 'bottoming'.
Yes, the sound.. bang bang.

The shackle is not hitting, the springs/shocks are not suspending.

Any favorite bump stops for when I replace 3.5" springs?

If it's that bad, you should be able to cycle the springs ands see it hit the bumpstop....

Are you sure it isn't hitting the bumper bolts...mine did, and I would have said it wasn't.....

Springs are suspending, as they are holding it up....shocks DO NOT support weight (unless they are air shocks), all they do is limit how far & how fast the spring can cycle.

Shocks are probably fine....but the spring may or may not be.....I'd have to see pics to be sure.

I'm with TCRM, post some pics of what you are dealing with before you do anything.

Pics to follow but could take a bit.

Thanks.

..."Missing rear driver's side bumpstop"...

Guess my membership expired. Just renewed for 2 years so might take awhile so I can attach pictures. Thanks for your patience.

Wow, expire shows March '21. Need a mod to verify I'm in I guess.

I have RE 3.5" leaf springs, DT-3000 shocks and polyurethane extended bump stops. No bottoming even with a full off-road gear load up, or when hauling an axle assembly in the hitch mounted cargo basket.

I have RE 3.5" leaf springs, DT-3000 shocks and polyurethane extended bump stops. No bottoming even with a full off-road gear load up, or when hauling an axle assembly in the hitch mounted cargo basket.

Can you link to the shocks (DT-3000 brand) and bumps please? RE I can find easily enuf I guess.

One contact suggested air shocks. hmm.

Thanks.

I'm curious as to what's bottoming out. Is the suspension bottoming out on the shocks (not good), or is the one remaining bump stop taking the hit? If the shock length isn't properly matched, the shock will bottom out before the axle can reach the bump stops. You may want to take some measurements of the shocks to ensure that they don't bottom out before the axle can hit the bump stop. If needed, get better size shocks, or get some extended bump stops or get alternate bump stops such as the DPG stops.

As far as leaves go, all the ones I looked at are at least as stiff as stock leaves, so its hard to imagine bottoming as easily as you say unless the leaves are badly bent.

For replacements, I think the features of the IRO 3.5" leaf are hard to beat for the money. I haven't tried those springs though so I can't comment on their quality of firmness.

I had OME leafs on my rig for about a month - WAAY too soft. I swapped them out for some 3.5" RE's and then actually went to some 4" Deavers. The Deavers are expensive but awesome! I am running 37" tires on my rig with about 4.5"-5" of lift.

Can you link to the shocks (DT-3000 brand) and bumps please? RE I can find easily enuf I guess.

One contact suggested air shocks. hmm.

Thanks.

NO ONE suggested air shocks......air shocks will cause you even more problems

I did say the only shocks that carry weight are air shocks....

Last edited:
NO ONE suggested air shocks......air shocks will cause you even more problems

I did say the only shocks that carry weight are air shocks....

Didn't mean YOU. "another contact" on a Facebook page suggested air shocks.

I'm with TCRM, post some pics of what you are dealing with before you do anything.

Still waiting for an Admin to give me right to post Attachments. I have pictures. Dunno what's up with that.

What's the proper way to measure for bump stop height? I see Q-tech and others have quite a variety.

I sent an email to Deaver for information on their springs. Closest dealer for me is 250+mi.

Last edited:
Flex your rig out and measure is the best! Same goes for the shocks.

Back