• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scenic Wheeling Picture Thread

Apparently my earlier contributions to this thread have fallen victim to website implosions, so here's a few recent pics...

Mana Road, Big Island Hawaii

Pine Trees beach, Big island

Near Mauna Kea summit, Big Island

And more from the Big Island...

Makole'a beach

Another pic from Mana road

Polihale beach, Kauai

Somewhere near the center of Kauai. Apparently some scenes from Jurassic Park were filmed here, half of the few people we saw were looking for the Jurassic Park gates

Sproul State Forest in central PA. Not as breathtaking as some other regions, but it's still very pleasant to be out amongst these trees.

2rmtyir.jpg

What an awesome thread.

Over the course of several days I went through the entire thing.

I want to go wheeling with IntrepidXJ someday. There is someone who is getting some serious use out of the their Jeep.

It is a bummer how many pictures are now missing. Especially a bunch of XJBlue's pics from around 2010 or so.

Of all the pics in here, this is hands-down my favorite:

Here's a pic that I took of a fellow Jeeper.

DSC_6591-1.jpg

I want to go wheeling with IntrepidXJ someday. There is someone who is getting some serious use out of the their Jeep.

Randy is a pro now. His photos are regularly published in various websites, calendars, and magazines. I follow him on Facebook.

It's funny. I've known Randy for several years. Back when I met him he took pictures on his point and shoot camera at 800x600 because he felt no need for quality. :laugh2:

Then he moved out of the Midwest and his life changed for good.

Mt washington summit 6,289 ft

Taken from boring old Saxon Mountain:

20160928045334-8035bc4d-me.jpg

"Step out the front door like a ghost into the fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white..."*

This is on FS road 2N04 in the San Bernardino National Forest. 2N04 is one of two trails adopted by the SoCal Chapter through the Adopt-a-Trail program.

I was out assessing damage from a couple recent storms, and as it turned out; the storm that rolled in while I was doing recon. Plenty of fog, wind, rain and snow made the outside world in the valleys below completely disappear in the hush. I was reminded once again why I've hung out here over the years.

:cheers:

Later in the day after it was dark I destroyed my steering box when I hit a hole in the fog. I knew it was there but I was going way too fast for the conditions on the trail; dense fog, standing water, tight turns and slick mud. Oops.

:woohoo:

*---Counting Crows

Last edited:
Rollins Pass East

DSC03251.JPG

Rollins Pass East, about 1/2-mile further up the same road. I took that picture Thanksgiving Day 2007: 9 degrees Fahrenheit, 30 MPH gusts. Time to go home. :)

Jenny_Creek005b.jpg

A fall visit to the San Juans

We just returned from the Ouray/Silverton area (Southwest Colorado) and it was a GREAT trip.

We were probably a week or two early for peak color and the smoke from all the wildfires kept things a bit hazy, but it was beautiful nonetheless. As always, the pics don't do it justice.

Animas Forks & Crystal Lake

_Z7A6172.jpg

_Z7A6182.jpg

_Z7A6187.jpg

_Z7A6197.jpg

_Z7A6199.jpg

_Z7A6203.jpg

_Z7A6208.jpg

_Z7A6217.jpg

_Z7A6232.jpg

_Z7A6241.jpg

ClearLakePano01.jpg

IMG_3950.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3954.jpg

Brown Mountain

_Z7A6081.jpg

_Z7A6084.jpg

_Z7A6099.jpg

_Z7A6107.jpg

_Z7A6108.jpg

_Z7A6125.jpg

_Z7A6130.jpg

_Z7A6133.jpg

_Z7A6134.jpg

_Z7A6135.jpg

_Z7A6138.jpg

_Z7A6142.jpg

_Z7A6146.jpg

_Z7A6147.jpg

IMG_3941a.jpg

Black Bear Pass

_Z7A6267.jpg

_Z7A6268.jpg

_Z7A6282.jpg

_Z7A6288.jpg

_Z7A6296.jpg

_Z7A6297.jpg

Beautiful pics and nice looking XJ! Thanks for posting those.

Thank you. We just love the area, and generally go back every other Summer. This was our first time to visit during the fall. I love the summer wildflowers and all, but to me the fall is better out there. Way better. Fewer people, cooler temperatures and when the color finally comes in… wow. It's something to see. Highly recommended!

What an awesome thread.

Over the course of several days I went through the entire thing.

It is a bummer how many pictures are now missing. Especially a bunch of XJBlue's pics from around 2010 or so.

If anyone takes the deep dive through this thread again my shots should be all fixed, let me know if I missed any.
I'll have to bug intrepidxj to fix all hundreds of his when I head out on the trail with him in a couple weeks.
Missing a bunch of Alex (handlebars) photos too.

[note to self, fix pgs 98-99]

Last edited:
Back