• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hjeepxj's build thread

Everything. You will undoubtably be rotating the pinion up and you want to make sure you are welding the TB and sway links level as it were.

:woohoo::helpme::laugh::laugh:

Had a decently productive day today - had a buddy who is a welder for work come by and help me with the rear fender chop - he did a really good job. Just need to flapper down, hit it with some top secret and bolt the Hooligan fenders on!

35827906195_f861f5cb3f_b.jpg

35827906625_73198468e1_m.jpg

35827906625_73198468e1_b.jpg

Kittrell and I reamed the knuckles and mocked everything in, then we tacked the sway bar links, final welded the links and the driver side Artec truss. Axle is headed for sandblast tomorrow, ARB and R&P being installed on Thursday after a couple coats of Top Secret paint.

35827907015_612693af83_b.jpg

Hoping to get the Hooligan front stiffeners installed and painted tomorrow...it will be a chore but I've already removed 95% of the LCA brackets which IMO is the hard part...lol

:thumbup: for progress!

:D

35908797196_2f972143ed_b.jpg

Had really a productive day today - rear fenders all trimmed up - just need paint then the Hooligan fenders. Front end is about half put together. Lots of little odds and ends to put together. I forgot how much work these Jeeps are. :laugh:

BlackstarLove progress.
Cant wait see the fenders finished.

Where are you hosting photos from.

Concentrate on solid welds not good looking show winning stuff.

Hmmmm flickar. Ill give that a try

BlackstarLove progress.
Cant wait see the fenders finished.

Where are you hosting photos from.

Concentrate on solid welds not good looking show winning stuff.

Hmmmm flickar. Ill give that a try

Yep - flickr - now that photobucket brings the suck. Those rear wheel well welds were done by a body of mine - I didn't feel comfortable doing it and having it turn out even moderately decent so I turned it over to him. He spend a full day on each side :eek: . The driver side looks even better than the passenger side for what it's worth.

Got the fenders on today - need to work the front right a bit as it's not fitting 100%. Next up is to finish the front end suspension and steering.

35132468324_0f7eeaa3ac_b.jpg

35801752932_fdfcd2ea44_b.jpg

Awesome love the fenders. Its mandatory you 1/4 fold your rear fenders.

Ive got anout an hour into trying to post a direct link from flickr. How do you do it. Thus is the closest i get

https://flic.kr/p/WML464

I have the JCR Vanguard bumper with matching integrated quarter armor. :D :D :D

For flickr, you upload the photo then I have been clicking on the pic then right clicking on the big image and copying the image address. Then you use the
blocks to get it in the thread.

Hmmm i dont have a computer just my phone

Id get rid if quarter armer ir cut the small part and tie it into 1/4 fold fenders.

Looking good! Can't go wrong with the silver and black

Thanks brotha! Hoping to get it out this season!!!

You coming to COfest?

I wish,but it's not gonna happen. Should make the spring Creek trip if you're planning on going.

Bummer about COfest.

I *should* be able to have mine ready to go by Spring Creek. Wish me luck! :)

Got the rear bumper on after replacing the nut strip from JCR that broke. Everything but the UCA's and brake lines are hooked up in the front, just need to bolt that stuff up. I cut the old metal sleeve out of the drivers side UCA bushing as it was junk not realizing that the new bushing needs it so that's on order.

Stuff left to do: UCA bushings, UCA's, final mount TNT xmember, hack n' tap SYE along with rear drive shaft, hook brakes up f/r, attempt to set alignment, mount shocks, plumb the ARB's, mount the rocks rails, and a couple other small odds and ends. It should be good to drive then. I do want to sand the interior, coat with top secret, install the cage, dynamat the rear and reinstall the interior but if I can get it drive-able I'm going to wheel it.

36427276456_17dd8fb1ff_b.jpg

SO, I made a bit of progress. It's aligned, brakes bled, everything torqued down and ready to "drive". The sway bar mounts that came with the stinkyfab kit won't work with my setup so I'm going to have to have some mounts fabbed up - I will be taking it to Josh at Hooligan hopefully sometime next week.

The interior is no where near complete, but I'm hoping to get it out and drive it a little and wheel it this summer...soon...hopefully soon.

27728349237_c7be9df309_b.jpg

42595996871_2e716fe591_b.jpg

27728347987_18fac015c9_b.jpg

My very next steps after getting the sway bar mounts fabbed on:

Install rock rails (have them just have to finish painting them)
Install transfercase skid

Paint/rust proof interior
Dynamat interior
Wire in ARB compressor, lockers, and all lights
Reinstall interior

Hoping to get this thing to the October Moab NAXJA run.

Last edited:
SO - I've been driving it around the last couple of days.

It handles AWESOME for an XJ on 35's, significantly better than my old one on 33's. I spent quite a bit of coin on the suspension and steering, but I'm super happy with it for on road purposes. I have yet to take it on the highway as the front swaybar still needs to be reworked. I honestly don't think it would be too bad all things considered but I'm not going to risk it as it's not my DD anyway.

The speedo is way off, what's the best way to address this?

The next bump in the road I ran in to is it's overheating - common issue lol. I am most likely going with a Hesco high volume water pump, a Ron Davis radiator and Napier hood vents.

Time is very hard for me to come by and I'm recovering from a hernia surgery so I'm not sure if I'm going to do it myself or just hire it out.

Holy crap this thing still exists!
I'd find one of the speedo gear charts and see if you find something close to what you need. Idk if you can still get one of the old speedo calibration modules?

Back