• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet Another Radiator Thread!

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 99 needs a radiator since it's leaking at the drain plug. I've done a lot of reading & searching over the past week, because I want to find the "right unit" & do this just once ... radiator swap. The consensus appears to be that a Mopar radiator will be best. Last night it occurred to me that the stock rad in my wrecked '92 performed flawlessly for the entire time I owned the Jeep.

What's to stop me from swapping this radiator into the '99? Are they that different? Will it fit? Is it wise to use an older unit instead of a brand new one?

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome, but I'll say up front that I can't afford $300+ for a Mopar radiator right now. So a link to competent replacement is also welcome if it's recommended not to use the old one.

I need a rad Change recently too. About 5 months ago. Went with the CSF 3 row. I believe the part number was 2671. It runs so nice and cool and haven't had a single issue yet. Even today, it was 122 degrees in Palm Springs and the jeep never got about 220 with AC on. I believe you can find them for $250-275ish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mopar 5191929AA is a low cost often that does not include the upper part of the radiator mount if you still have that. It's about $140. If you need the whole thing then Mopar 52079682AF for something like $250 is a stock replacement. Old radiators may work but for how much longer?

Thanks for the replies so far. Let me back up a bit.

'99 XJ Limited 4.0L, auto, 4x4, w/ AC

I'd prefer a 2-row aluminum preferably assigned as having HD cooling. From my research I have been bombarded with so many part numbers that I'm dreaming about part #s. But I have learned that a HD radiator is recommended & preferred even though the XJ does not have factory towing. The one I really want to get is the Mopar 52080104AC, but it's $288 before shipping.

OK, so it seems so far, I'm being guided towards new. One of the units posted above is $270+ ($ out of my league $). The other is listed for a manual tranny. From a quick search (it's past my bed time) I haven't yet found out how many rows they have. The info for them is pretty scarce.

I'll look into them further, but I would welcome some more input.
Edit: I've read some bad things about CSF leaking, but for me the jury is still out.

Has anyone used a Mishimoto rad? I read somewhere about a lone guy who bought one, but I've seen no other feedback but his. Their price is good and lifetime warranty ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. Let me back up a bit.

'99 XJ Limited 4.0L, auto, 4x4, w/ AC

I'd prefer a 2-row aluminum preferably assigned as having HD cooling. From my research I have been bombarded with so many part numbers that I'm dreaming about part #s. But I have learned that a HD radiator is recommended & preferred even though the XJ does not have factory towing. The one I really want to get is the Mopar 52080104AC, but it's $288 before shipping.

OK, so it seems so far, I'm being guided towards new. One of the units posted above is $270+ ($ out of my league $). The other is listed for a manual tranny. From a quick search (it's past my bed time) I haven't yet found out how many rows they have. The info for them is pretty scarce.

I'll look into them further, but I would welcome some more input.
Edit: I've read some bad things about CSF leaking, but for me the jury is still out.

Has anyone used a Mishimoto rad? I read somewhere about a lone guy who bought one, but I've seen no other feedback but his. Their price is good and lifetime warranty ...

The two part numbers I listed above are one that I've personally purchased for 97, 99, and 01 with automatic transmissions. Puttzer helped me out with the part numbers. He works at a Dodge dealer and has access to the dealer computers. Thanks Puttzer! What I found is that the lower cost option is just that - a lower cost dealer option. It does not include the upper brace which you must take from your existing radiator. The low cost one worked great in a 99 XJ I was working on, but for my 97 XJ I bought the more expensive one. I didn't have a upper brace that was in great shape. The "AC" heavy duty ones have a thicker core which puts them closer to the fan. My understanding is that if you have motor mounts that are weak and/or fail, the fan will grenade them faster than the standard part number I listed above. Another option is to buy a $100 Spectra radiator from NAPA/Auto Zone but in my experience they can leak at/near the 2 year mark. So you paid $100 for a radiator that's going to leak in 2 years versus a dealer one that should last 10. If at 2 years your Spectra leaks, you can warranty it, but then decide if you want to run another one or pay $300 for a dealer rad. If you go to dealer at that point, the $300 dealer rad just increased in cost to $400... Sometimes its better to pay once and cry once. Personally I will not be buying anymore Spectra radiators because the one's I've bought have failed at/near the 2 year mark & I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm not sure if the O'Reilly's Murray's are any better as I have zero experience with them.

And, while people rave about the "AC" ones for the "heavy duty" cooling, I can tell you that a stock XJ with a fully functional cooling system doesn't need them. With stock cooling you can drive across the desert in July with the A/C on and not have problems. I've done it. I-8 between El Centro and San Diego. I-10 through Palm Springs. I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. Drive past mile after mile of 55 gallon water drums of "radiator water" on the side of the road, on the grades, with the A/C on even though signs suggest you turn it off. Those are the hottest places you're likely to drive unless you're actually in Death Valley. It would only be when other parts are worn that a bigger radiator is helpful. As long as your head gasket is in good shape, your clutch is changed every couple of years, and your e-fan is functional you don't need a bigger radiator IMHO.

Last edited:
I have obsessed about the best radiator options as well.

I recently picked up a 99 cherokee with the intention to fix a few things a flip it. It needed a radiator so I just got a Spectra from Rockauto (under $100). Some searching online indicated they have a good reputation for a decent, low cost radiator.

Well, MY Cherokee broke down so I ended up keeping the 99. I've been driving it in our heat wave (104 yesterday) stop and go traffic, AC on full, and it hasn't gone past 210. Its been in 6 months now.

So, it might be worth considering a Spectra.

I've read that the Spectras are leak prone as well.
md21722 - thanks for the in depth response. I agree 100% with your common sense assessment of long term cost. But the funds just aren't there right now. After all, dammit I just bought a Jeep!

Mind you, I do not intend to install a unit that costs less than a "Benjamin" (no offense intended for Jed's Spectra), just looking for a well proven sub for what I really want. Lord I have read so many radiator threads and aside from the Mopar I mentioned, the only consensus is ... no consensus. Maybe I'll just let the XJ sit for a bit since it's not a DD.

I've been in the same boat so many times. I think rad threads are second in quantity only to lift threads. And no matter what rad you read into, whether cheap or a fortune, someones had it leak before they even put it in drive and another ones had one working perfect without a hiccup for 80 years. There comes a point where you just have to take all that knowledge you've retained and jump on the one you feel the best about. (And can afford, of course) let us know what you end up with and how it's working out for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short on cash? Buy a "cheap" radiator at AutoZone etc. that has a lifetime warranty. Put it in and replace as necessary until you have the cash to buy the unit you want. You may get lucky and not end up needing it anyway.

Problem solved.

Next?

I recently installed the CSF2671 ($250 on amazon incl shipping) in my XJ. The previous radiator was leaking. When I removed the previous radiator I realized it was the exact same model CSF2671! I don't know how long ago the previous radiator had been installed, but didn't exactly inspire confidence in it. That said the previous CSF2671 worked well, I drove it hard in the desert and didn't have any overheating issues, even with a pinhole leak.

One thing that bothers me is the clearance between the clutch fan and the 3 row CSF2671 is very narrow (~1/2"). I've heard people say that if you install a Transfer Case drop the fan will hit the radiator. I'm nervous about a serious bump off road causing the fan to hit the radiator, we'll have to see.

If I could do it all over again I'd look for a highly recommended 2-row, from people with experience off roading with it in the desert. I think the CSF is a very good radiator for cooling, but if there is a good 2 row out there that is narrower that does the job I'd go for that. As an engineer I'm just not convinced of the benefits of extra rows.

As an engineer I'm just not convinced of the benefits of extra rows.

^This. The standard Griffin XJ replacement radiator is a single row. It can be debated forever the appropriate number of rows. My FF Dynamics radiator is a two row, with offset tubes and a fairly wide spacing. What's the best? Someone give me $5,000.00 and pay me for 4 weeks of vacation time, and I'll do the testing in Death Valley, even in the summer (cringe). Quite possibly the harshest conditions available. I won't even charge for motel room or meal, though maybe for beer.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS

So, you have a 92 laying around with a good radiator in it? You are short on cash for a radiator in the 99? I'm confused. Seems simple to me, if the 92 radiator will fit (I'm not sure), shove it in. If it craps out in 6 months, who cares? All it cost you was your time. In the meantime, tuck back a couple bucks to buy the good one.

^This. The standard Griffin XJ replacement radiator is a single row. It can be debated forever the appropriate number of rows. My FF Dynamics radiator is a two row, with offset tubes and a fairly wide spacing. What's the best? Someone give me $5,000.00 and pay me for 4 weeks of vacation time, and I'll do the testing in Death Valley, even in the summer (cringe). Quite possibly the harshest conditions available. I won't even charge for motel room or meal, though maybe for beer.

David Bricker / SYR - TUS
The only benefit to extra rows is fluid capacity and surface area. Both of which can be accomplished with a single row if its designed properly.

You know good and well you would buy your own beer if someone gave you that deal.

So, you have a 92 laying around with a good radiator in it? You are short on cash for a radiator in the 99? I'm confused. Seems simple to me, if the 92 radiator will fit (I'm not sure), shove it in. If it craps out in 6 months, who cares? All it cost you was your time. In the meantime, tuck back a couple bucks to buy the good one.
Yeah, I've never installed a radiator before, was very hesitant to mess with what will turn out to be a very time consuming dual teardown. But I hear ya. I'm going to see if I can get to the one in the '92 and take it from there. There are other factors involved here which I haven't mentioned, but after some soul searching I have finally decided that I won't be spending a dime on a radiator - and that's unusual for me because I usually don't hesitate to throw money at my Jeep. Things are different these days. I'm gonna use what's right here in the yard. I'll post back regarding how things work out.
Thanks all.

It's easy to change the radiator once you've done it. About 16 nuts and bolts hold the upper support on. Aux fan comes out. Hoses come off. For many the hardest part is the transmission cooler line at the bottom of the radiator. A disconnect tool makes simple work of that if the fitting isn't corroded to heck. To aid in refilling leave the upper radiator hose loose otherwise you will end up with a big air pocket. Should take about 6-8 quarts of 50/50 coolant and water. You will need a Torx T27 and T30 for some of the bolts. The other bolts are 8mm, 10mm. It's 7/16 or 1/2 for the ones that hold the condenser to the radiator.

Radiator changes are easy on XJ's. Buy a new Mopar radiator, it has best surface area to the rad. mount opening. Ensure thermostat is correct and working, very important. Water pump should be working well, also. With these, you should be fine.
By the way, I17 Phoenix to Flagstaff isnt much of a test. Tucson to Yuma, backroads, all the time.

Yeah, the real test is if you can hold temperature on a hot day on hills at lower speeds. Interstate travel moves a lot of air through the radiator.

Back