• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone in cali swap a HO in a renix yr and pass smog like its a renix?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well just curious if, I end up swaping out a renix from a 90, with a HO from like a 2002ish TJ, do you think the local smog guy will know? I mean theres no onboard connections to the machine and nothing to really check right? Just a thought that might pan out someday.

I would post this in the mod forum but this is directed to CA smog so I put it here?

If you don't let it be known you will most likely fail due to the visual inspection. He's gonna look for the EGR valve (HO doesn't have it).

I assume you swapped out the entire sytem, with wiring, computer, and manifold? If everything is all hooked up like it was stock on the TJ then there should be no problem disclosing that you're running a 2002 engine. You should rig up some sort of check engine light though because they do check that.

ROBERTK said:
Well just curious if, I end up swaping out a renix from a 90, with a HO from like a 2002ish TJ, do you think the local smog guy will know? I mean theres no onboard connections to the machine and nothing to really check right? Just a thought that might pan out someday.
Unless you're swapping the harness and everything else I would say mix and match and it will be the same: block from the HO, sensors and most of the top from the renix and you'll be fine.

I would post this in the mod forum but this is directed to CA smog so I put it here?
there is more to cali then socal ;)

awww... EGR..

No, I havent installed anything, I was just concidering it in the future and had a brain fart/idea.

the 2000's seem so much more basic and less crapola under the hood though. My 00, wifes 04, friends 97even , and other friends 02, all added up would have less hoses and wires it looks like under the hood.

I would never do a full OBDII swap of a 4.0 in the 90 though. Much more favorable swaps I think out there, to waste my time and $ on a 4.0 if it was to be done.

LDP?

I didn't notice that you said IF there.

I woudl not swap the entire HO system in because of the headache involved. The Renix system is a good solid system and the extra power of an HO isn't all that special.

The only concern I'd have would be the knock sensor, I've heard mixed opinions on whether the HO block has a threaded hole for the knock sensor.

You'll want to run the entire Renix system including the manifolds, they will bolt directly up to the HO head.

GSequoia said:
Leak detection pump :D Lack of it triggers check engine light with the appropriate code resulting in not passing smog check.

The only concern I'd have would be the knock sensor, I've heard mixed opinions on whether the HO block has a threaded hole for the knock sensor.
Drill and tap :D

Kejtar said:
Unless you're swapping the harness and everything else I would say mix and match and it will be the same: block from the HO, sensors and most of the top from the renix and you'll be fine.

Could you swap the HO block and head and then use the Renix injection, wiring, etc? From what I hear the head is the major difference in performance between the HO and non HO.

Troy

Kejtar said:

Could you swap the HO block and head and then use the Renix injection, wiring, etc? From what I hear the head is the major difference in performance between the HO and non HO.

I see you answered this Seq. I think this would be the way to go to simply the swap and get the benefit of the new block with new tech and the HO high flowing head. The only thing that you couldn't do is get the nice 99'+ high flow manifold then right? Isn't that good for 10 hp or more?

Troy

Back