• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A high pitched whinning at McDonalds' drive-thru

4ESTJP

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search, but I did not get accurate results.

Something under the hood started making a high pitched whinnning noise at idle. When I step on the gas it goes away. When I opened the hood, it sounded like it was coming from the power steering pump. Is it ruined? The bearings burned out? Any help would be appreciated. SM

Last edited:
Are you sure it's not the alternator? (any dimming light action lately?) I've known quite a few alterntors to start whining while they're on their last leg(disappears under accelration too). Just a thought.

I used to have a similar problem at the mcdonalds drive thru, loud whinig, solved the problem by buying them happy meals till they out grew them...
More than likely a bearing in either the alternator or the idler wheel. Use a stethiscope to find it...

RichP said:
I used to have a similar problem at the mcdonalds drive thru, loud whinig, solved the problem by buying them happy meals till they out grew them...

:roflmao:

Sure it isn't the belt? Could it almost be described as a screaching?

Maybe both. Check the belt the correct amount of play or deflection. A Haynes manual can help with that. The look at the belt for obvious signs of wear. If the belt looks good and it seems to have the right amount of tension, then I would look into the other things mentioned.

EDIT: While idling, try turning the wheel from lock to lock while you're sitting still. If it is the belt it should have some effect on the sound.

I checked the level of the fluid and added some just to make sure. I thought I was doing okay, until the jeep warmed up. The screach came back. It still sounds like it is coming from the powersteering area. I'll try moving the the steering wheel back and forth to see if that changes the sound.

How much is a power steering pump?

Spend $15 at a NAPA store and get a Krikit II belt tension gauge, start there...the 'twist n guess' method is not even a close thing. 190lbs for a new belt, 160lbs for one thats been run 15 min or longer...twist n guess method puts you at about 80-120lbs ballpark..

I bought a cheap water pump a couple years ago in Hermiston, OR. It lasted, well, a couple years. Started screaching. It was the bearing. Got a lifetime warrented NAPA in it now.

Does it sound somewhat like a turbine whine, which varies with the throttle. If so, I had the same situation. It turned out to be the power steering pump on my '98. Replaced the unit, and the noise went away.

Ivan

I had a similar problem and replace idler puller which did not fix it. Then I sprayed belt dressing on the belt which did stop the squeeling. If that doesn't work try a different fast food joint!! :laugh3:

I finally found the squeal. The gaskets around the throttle body spacer split and was sucking air in. Terrible whistling noise.

I went down to buy a new belt and the auto store guy came out to investigate the horrible whinning with his stethoscope. It took him about 20 minutes to find it. He was probing around the power steering pump and was convinced that was the problem.

Thanks for all your guys' help.

A quick tip on finding leaks like that are to spray carb cleaner or wd40 or even water around, when you hit the leak you will hear the engine change pitch and idle...it will either get sucked into the motor or momentarily plug a vac leak, hence the engine idle speed change...
How did it split ? thats the first one I heard of unless you have been working in and around that area. Now, wheres that flashlight I'm going to have to go look at this area now...

When replaced them last night, it looked like the gaskets(both top and bottom of the spacer) had a sticker material around that has slipped off and pushed its way out leaving cracks around the perimiter of each gasket. So it looks like the gaskets from the throttle body spacer had a sticker backing attached the gasket material. If that makes sense? SM

Yea, that makes sense, especially if it was replaced at some point and the installer did not know that they needed to be removed. Seen that sticker materal on a few things to improve sealing on rough surfaces. Did you replace the spacer or just remove the stuff and put it back on ??? Maybe with some indian head gasket cement.... Thats what I used when installing the webber convserion on our 89 YJ couple summers ago...

Back