• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a winch

What do you guys think of the Smittybilt XRC-9.5K? Is jumping up to the X2O worth the extra reliability wise? Wireless seems neat but not sure how it holds up like a corded one.

I put wireless winch controllers right up there with wireless auxiliary controllers....

"It's neat-o, but when in hell would I ever actually need this?"

I put wireless winch controllers right up there with wireless auxiliary controllers....

"It's neat-o, but when in hell would I ever actually need this?"

Right and I'm an electrical guy (car audio & home theater) so I'll just wire up a switch somewhere on the center console. Think I'm going to get the XRC 9.5. I can grab it for $270 today with a coupon and free shipping.

Stupid question: What's the difference between a "tow strap" and "tree saver"? Can a tow strap be used for recover around a tree?

4WD.com offers the XRC with a tow strap and some shackles for a few extra bux which I need anyhow.

What straps and shackles do you guys like?

Tow straps are much longer than a tree saver. Ideally you do not want to wrap a strap all the way around a tree or several times around a tree . The twisting motion of the strap as it tightens up will destroy the cambium layer of the tree

Tow straps are much longer than a tree saver. Ideally you do not want to wrap a strap all the way around a tree or several times around a tree . The twisting motion of the strap as it tightens up will destroy the cambium layer of the tree

Good to know, I'll keep that in mind when treading lightly on the trails.

Looks like a royal pain if you ever have to replace the battery. Also the fairlead doesn't attach to the Smittybilt winches, which I need it to. Or am I missing something here? I might need to make a plate that goes under the winch that'll come out in front to bolt up the fairlead?

Last edited:
wireless winch controller is really nice. i would say it is more useful than winch controls on the dash.

Who's driving the jeep while you stand outside of it with a remote in your hand??

I did some more digging on the Smittybilt XRC and X2O and the reviews scare me more than the wheeling stories you guys shared LOL. This doesn't seem to line up with your experiences but the internet is a rather large sample pool.

you can operate a wireless remote in the cab.
you can operate a wireless remote outside the cab.
you can operate a wired remote in the cab.
you can operate a wired remote outside the cab.

see where im going with this?
you cant operate dash controls outside the cab.

I got ya and would run both to be honest. Wired remote and switch inside. I have everything to do the one inside, so it'll cost me some time but that's it.

Looks like a royal pain if you ever have to replace the battery. Also the fairlead doesn't attach to the Smittybilt winches, which I need it to. Or am I missing something here? I might need to make a plate that goes under the winch that'll come out in front to bolt up the fairlead?
i bought a harbor freight winch plate, cut it up, and welded it to my bumper.

https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-channel-winch-mount-90476.html

14192531_1069819563072459_3531862230034613900_n.jpg

14199736_1069819599739122_5078619635860988491_n.jpg

14364724_1074917395896009_4088522480500896963_n.jpg

I have a mount on the bumper I have but no fair lead mount. The bumper came with the jeep so no sure the PO had in mind there. I'll just have to find a winch plate that'll work, no biggie.

Think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Warn M8000 new for $497 shipped. I have to decide by midnight, sale ends lol.

you can operate a wireless remote in the cab.
you can operate a wireless remote outside the cab.
you can operate a wired remote in the cab.
you can operate a wired remote outside the cab.

My X20 the advantage of wireless is I don't have to run the wire over the hood and through the window. Seems trivial but its important.

Only real issue with it is the battery doesn't hold a charge between my wheeling trips. Rarely get to use the wireless capability.

Well I ended up splurging on the Warn M8000, couldn't pass it up for the price. Also picked up a kinetic style recovery rope from a guy that sells them around the corner from my place. Same supplier as Bubba Rope so I'm sure it'll be just fine. Just need some shackles, thinking about going with the rope kind but what do you guys like?

My X20 the advantage of wireless is I don't have to run the wire over the hood and through the window. Seems trivial but its important.

Only real issue with it is the battery doesn't hold a charge between my wheeling trips. Rarely get to use the wireless capability.

never used mine on consecutive trips. ALWAYS a dead battery.

I get that there are more "options" with a remote, just not worth it to me.

sounds like a good deal on a warn

Back