• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix hard to find parts sources thread

Just get some 1/2 inch heater hose and spray some wd40 ( or equivalent) on the tee side , it will slide right on .... Done this for years without a single problem.

So the T-side is a larger metal OD than the heater core on the Renix?

I was referring to the expansion tank side to tee .

Ah, those are easy to find and cheap for the Renix. It's the two that go from the actual copper heater core to the two T's.

I am seeing $48 prices for them, LOL. And I am not 100% sure, but they seem to be two different pipe sizes on them also.

I found the Renix heater core, inlet and outlet to t-fitting hoses, they are .55" X .62" ID

OMIX-ADA Heater Hoses 17116.65

About $40 cheaper if you have this part number LOL.

Google it, many stock it but non pull it up on a heater hose search, just a part number search using the above number.

The straight steel tube that comes out of the top left of the water pump for the heater hose. The Renix heater hose has a formed "L" to accommodate the straight outlet. The available HO version it bent to 90° to wrap around the head and valve cover pointing towards the back of the engine.

It really not a big deal to cut the heater hose, but still.

I think I used a 3/8" galvanized sch 40 pipe nipple, 12" long ages ago. I thought I saw it online recently, but maybe what I saw was the HO version you mentioned. I have a used spare, which is now more valuable than I thought.

Just found out that no one has the Renix NSS Neutral safety switch with the Renix QC anymore. They are all trying to sell the HO NSS with the new style connector, so you can get the switch (I am assuming it dod not change), but you will have to rewire/ swap/modify the connector ends...

Just found out that no one has the Renix NSS Neutral safety switch with the Renix QC anymore. They are all trying to sell the HO NSS with the new style connector, so you can get the switch (I am assuming it dod not change), but you will have to rewire/ swap/modify the connector ends...

What year did they change?

Not 100% sure, but I suspect they switched connector ends in 1991, definitely by 1996. Ebay, out of China still has the old 1980s Weatherpack connector parts and tools to make our own connectors, but I discovered last year there are two style 3 pin flat ones!!!!:( One for the MAP sensor and one for the TPS, and the slots are 180 degree reversed. I had to use an Exacto knife to cut slot in a TPS style connector to use on the MAP sensor harness side side to adapt it. No big deal, but now I wonder how to identify which one from China fits what LOL. I stocked up on the 2,3 and 4 pin ones for the TPS and O2 sensors about 10 years ago. Thinking it is time to do the others now, IAT, NSS, and so on.

What year did they change?

The new style connectors, the new GM connectors were used on the 91 on the IATs, so I suspect it was 91. Why? Didn't the 91 TPS use the new GM connectors?

I'm not sure it was 91 when the HO appeared.......

The straight steel tube that comes out of the top left of the water pump for the heater hose. The Renix heater hose has a formed "L" to accommodate the straight outlet. The available HO version it bent to 90° to wrap around the head and valve cover pointing towards the back of the engine.

It really not a big deal to cut the heater hose, but still.

If my mind still works, the threads on the water pump on my '96 are 3/8" NPT. I didn't care for the rusting steel pipe that I had, so I swapped over to stainless steel. Stainless pipe nipples, couplings and elbows can all be had if you look in the right places. It is even simpler if you want to keep things straight.

The important piece is the fitting for the heater hose, and Performance Stainless Steel makes 3/8" NPT fittings: https://performancesst.com/product.php?productid=39&cat=7&page=1

I'm 99% sure NSS connector on 4.0L is 96 down vs 97 up. I know they added another contact and wire for it at that point.

I'll have to check my 88 against a 94 harness I have, but I could swear it's the same 8 position, 7 pin Delphi (previously known as Packard Electrical Division, now known as Aptiv) connector. I believe it's actually a metripack not a weatherpack, but cannot guarantee I'm right on that without some research.

BTW: RENIX 4.0L ECU connectors are a metripack 100 series connector. So is the 96-down TCU connector. Discovered that last night working on a project - they are keyed differently of course.

I'm 99% sure NSS connector on 4.0L is 96 down vs 97 up. I know they added another contact and wire for it at that point.

I'll have to check my 88 against a 94 harness I have, but I could swear it's the same 8 position, 7 pin Delphi (previously known as Packard Electrical Division, now known as Aptiv) connector. I believe it's actually a metripack not a weatherpack, but cannot guarantee I'm right on that without some research.

BTW: RENIX 4.0L ECU connectors are a metripack 100 series connector. So is the 96-down TCU connector. Discovered that last night working on a project - they are keyed differently of course.

My thoughts also. The 96 to 97 split. Not Remix to HO split.

The TCUs are different at the Renix split though.

My thoughts also. The 96 to 97 split. Not Remix to HO split.

The TCUs are different at the Renix split though.

For sure. At this point I think I have a TCU from every year range (87-90, 97, 98-01) except for 91-??/??-95 (power/comfort switch split I'm not sure about) and maybe 96 if it's different. Need to compare/contrast them at some point.

I have a big stock of RENIX 4.0L ECU connectors coming from Mouser on monday... will test fit them and post up part numbers if they fit. I doubt anyone but me will ever need this info unless they are building a RENIX harness from scratch, but at least it'll be out there.

The 88 I have sitting here has a gray connector. I think I've seen red as well but not sure.

Back