• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

From the website:

Large 5-Layer Performance Air Filter:
This Momentum ST intake system was designed around the largest filter possible to allow maximum performance and filtration. This cone filter has a massive round flange and is 8" tall inverted top Pro 5R filter media. The Pro 5R performance air filter features 5-layers of progressively finer mesh cotton gauze oiled media and is constructed with 100% polyurethane frame for long life and multiple cleaning cycles.

Granted, a picture would be nice.

Sure looks nice. I don't care for their 5 layer filter as it's no different than a k and n but I have their dry flow filter. It works well and filters better. Have they changed their rubber material on the filter? It degrades a little fast for some reason. The elbow looks like silicone now which is better.

Did they release any Dyno results?

Sure looks nice. I don't care for their 5 layer filter as it's no different than a k and n but I have their dry flow filter. It works well and filters better. Have they changed their rubber material on the filter? It degrades a little fast for some reason. The elbow looks like silicone now which is better.

Did they release any Dyno results?

16 horses 19 torque to the ground, over the stock intake, on my car. They did text me the dyno chart, I can't find it now though.

Post 269 in this thread. One page back.

Maybe it's me, I'm just getting cranky and cheap as I get older, but I'm really having a hard time seeing $400

I don't mind spending money, I'm about to order Deavers rear springs and the 4 link from SFR -- I just need to feel like im actually getting my money's worth

Maybe it's me, I'm just getting cranky and cheap as I get older, but I'm really having a hard time seeing $400

It's not just you, I am all of the above including the not seeing part.
If I spend $400 on a plastic box it better have $500 worth of Gold inside.

It is pretty though !

In terms of dollars per horsepower gained $400 is probably the cheapest 16hp you can buy. That's $25 per pony. Damn cheap if you ask me.

I'd have to call BS on an actual 16HP gain.

1-2HP maybe, but 16HP...nope.

m1 = m2

ρ1*V1*A1 = ρ2*V2*A2

A1 = A2 (TB orifice is still the "restriction" point)

ρ1 = ρ2 (within reason)

And, I highly doubt a change in velocity enough to do much.

Yeah, I would have said the same thing. But I saw it. On my car. On the dyno.

And I feel it driving around town. You can take my word for it or not.

they texted me pictures of them. i lost them. i'll see if i can get a new copy.

And no other changes, no. if you look back at the picture in post 269, you can see that they 3d printed it in house in sections, and went thru several incarnations of changes to get the most out of it. Dallas and I actually had to hold off on lifting the car until they had finished their changes and sent it to production. I think they went back and forth between the stock intake and theirs about 5 times over a couple of months, and even sent someone out to my office to test fit and measure a couple of times when they didn't want to wait until I could leave them the jeep again.

they texted me pictures of them. i lost them. i'll see if i can get a new copy.

And no other changes, no. if you look back at the picture in post 269, you can see that they 3d printed it in house in sections, and went thru several incarnations of changes to get the most out of it. Dallas and I actually had to hold off on lifting the car until they had finished their changes and sent it to production. I think they went back and forth between the stock intake and theirs about 5 times over a couple of months, and even sent someone out to my office to test fit and measure a couple of times when they didn't want to wait until I could leave them the jeep again.

Impressive. The fluid dynamics side of me would love to know how they achieved anything of the sort, without the system somehow forcibly inducing air. In theory one would see the greatest gain with no filter ,with the assumption that the filter wasn't designed to deliver air with certain flow dynamics to improve on turbulence/laminar flow.

Yeah, I don't know.

But it does make me want to go back to the dyno with a stock system, their system, and an open throttle body. ;)

Yeah, I don't know.

But it does make me want to go back to the dyno with a stock system, their system, and an open throttle body. ;)

Yeah, I'd love to see a bit of different testing with given controls, and given variables to see results across the board.

Say, three 97+ stockers...with:
1.) Open throttle body
2.) OEM Intake
3.) Typical CAI Intake
4.) Their intake

Dang thats wild to think they get that much out of an intake. Now if it were only half that price, every xj owner would have one lol

Impressive. The fluid dynamics side of me would love to know how they achieved anything of the sort, without the system somehow forcibly inducing air. In theory one would see the greatest gain with no filter ,with the assumption that the filter wasn't designed to deliver air with certain flow dynamics to improve on turbulence/laminar flow.

Nissan put very similar intakes on their motors in the 90s as well and we'd see gains like this on smaller engines (higher RPM, but similar total output) from just an aftermarket intake, despite almost zero vacuum in the stock intake tract (as you pointed out with continuity). A lot of it had to do with pulse timing (with tube length and diameter) for a dynamic supercharging effect (intake pulses follow each other, reducing pumping losses and can be tuned for gains at specific RPM points), and the rest had to do with getting rid of the ribbed intake tubing and other boundary layer restrictions.

That being said, there were a number of companies that would play games with the dyno to cherry pick results. Not saying AFE is doing that here, but skepticism with marketing and dyno sheets is perfectly reasonable.

I guess maybe I'm more skeptical of the fact that any company would be willing to put that kind of R&D...into an XJ :laugh:

Our motor's aren't known for performance by a long shot, and aren't remotely THAT great of a market share anymore.

Back