• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump outlet

goodburbon

NAXJA Forum User
I was walking out to the wifes 2000 yesterday and saw a small puddle of coolant on the ground, popped the hood and determined that it was coming from the water pump area. I assumed it was the seals on their way out and promptly topped off the system and headed home.

Upon disasembly (why the hell they made removing the power steering pump necessary to remove the water pump I'll never know) I discovered that the weep hole had no signs of fluid passing through it. The Hard tube from the water-pump that goes over the AC bracket and feeds the heater core, however, had lots of residue on it, indicating to me that that was the source of the leak. It appears to be a 2 piece tube that is soldered together and mine is leaking from the joint. I have checked out all of the local pasts houses and none have been able to find one for me.

so I have 2 questions.

1. Is it called a Heater bypass tube?

2. I prepped it and JB welded the joint last night without it occuring to me that I could re-solder and it would be much easier and better. will the JB hold or do I need to find another tube?

5-90 has a fix, uses pipe from home depot, I did it on one of our TJ's, The OEM hose by the way is $14 or $17 from the dealer. 5-90's uses a two nipples and a 90deg elbow. It does work...
Also you do not have to take the power steering pump off, once you loosen up the bracket a bit remove the bolt that hold the bracket that goes back alongside the block, that will allow you to move it out enough to both pull the pump and reinstall the new one. I did a posting on it back in july 05 or aug 05...

That's helpful, and I didn't remove the PS pump, I did just what you did. I did a few searches, the trouble was that there were 500 results for water pump, and only 40 for water pump bypass, none of which had the info I wanted. Thanks Rich.

My tube crossthreaded, so I found an outlet that screwed into the waterpump and put heater hose on it. The only clearance issues were behind the idler pully...but it doesn't rub and has worked well for about 50K.

Back