• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator advice

riverside

NAXJA Forum User
92, XJ, 4.0 alternator needs replacement.
Should I just go to Autozone etc and get the recommended or is there one that would serve as an upgrade?

I don't know if you need it ASAP, but I have used this kit on 2 alternators now and I am very satisfied. The first one is still going after many miles and about 8 years. The 2nd I did just as a precaution on a new to me Jeep. There are step-by-step thorough videos for each product they sell and you only need simple hand tools. They also have a high amp kit if I remember correctly.
https://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/dpi/

Also, I realized after ordering these kits how Autozone etc. can afford to do lifetime warranties on rebuilt alternators. They are probably only throwing the cheapest parts in them and if you bring it back once or twice, no biggie.

Autozone and the other parts stores have cheap crappy Chinese rebuilt alternators. One of the guys in my local Jeep club works there and says 10-15% of the alternators are Dead on Arrival.

I take my alternators to a local shop and have them rebuilt with German and Japanese parts. Otherwise I would buy a new TYC, Remy or ACDelco.

Last edited:
If you can't find a local rebuild shop, look online and find a source of Nippendenso remanufactured alternators in the size appropriate for your jeep. Denso has a huge facility in Maryville, TN that makes new and remanufactured parts.

I got mine from this site...

https://www.carid.com/1996-jeep-cherokee-parts/

Bosch also makes very good rebuilt alternators.
Stay away from the auto chains. It is a crap-shoot.

Autozone and the other parts stores have cheap crappy Chinese rebuilt alternators. One of the guys in my local Jeep club works there and says 10-15% of the alternators are Dead on Arrival.

I take my alternators to a local shop and have them rebuilt with German and Japanese parts. Otherwise I would buy a new TYC, Remy or ACDelco.

this. all of this.

find a local shop, have them wind it heavy or step up in amps with a dodge 2500 truck alt.

good options. although the bigger alt didn't fit on mine. crashed the front so YMMV

Back