• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing new condenser

ReptarXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased my 1996 xj 6 months ago as it was in poor condition. Now that i've fixed it up to use as my daily driver I am left with no a/c due to holes through the fins on the condenser so i removed it during my replacement of most of the cooling system (radiator, water pump, thermostat & housing etc). the system has been open for a couple of months now. Is there anything special I need to know as I plan on closing the system this weekend with a new condenser, 2 hoses to condenser and the receiver drier?

Once everything is installed I plan on taking it to a shop to have them pull a vacuum and putting in refrigerant.

If the system has been open you most definitely want a new drier. I believe the expansion orifice is in one of the hard lines. It's not a bad idea to replace it while in there. What about a flush? Also consider how much oil is in the system. It should be precise as recommended by the manufacture. The whole AC system is engineered to work without much margin for error. A little dirt here, a little moisture there. too much or too little oil and the system doesn't last very long.

Back