• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep build with photos over the last few years.

My mind says these shocks are mounted correctly.
Either way the cool thing is if it doesn't work I can change it and redo it. That's why these threads are nice. People have the opportunity to learn and maybe wont have to do it twice when they build it themselves.
I have to make some money now burning uncertified 7018 so the jeep will have to wait till tonight.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There are already post's we use to show "What not to do" and yours will become one of them documented in cyberspace/time, most people do learn but in your case that's questionable!

I seem to be happy bump stopping on the fenders but I doubt these springs are. They're bending over backwards.
Droops alittle more front seems to move alittle more drops grunt coil a few inches off the upper seat.
Front fenders have a perfect inner bump stop.

Rear I need to clean up and finish. And may toss a bump stop in dont really need this much articulation.
In these pics the front has bottomd out one shock and other side is hanging on it fully extended.
These have 4" of up travel available at ride height.

The shackles seem different maybe not smoother but different. Maybe less choppy
But that's just a quick outing. Will know more ounce I put some miles in the dirt.

I'm pretty pleased all that work and about the only upgrade made was the rear brake line I replaced with a longer one because I ripped the factory one off.

Regardless see doesnt do to bad for a budget built rig
fb5c43cbf4e4308edaa89ab809f05bf2.jpg
bdd51a9999cd2f2374fd92f587f499ff.jpg
e812dd889c0f8ba6ac6fdb517eb80c65.jpg
b61bfc7de9ecc36ec7b20b2d2926dc3e.jpg
c7c701238c8766f6100ae41c01872ee0.jpg

That is some serious negative arch. That was the main reason i switch from that style relocation bracket to no lift relocation brackets. And those boostwerks shackles. They are amazing btw. On the street it made a huge improvement in body roll. And off road the rear droops much more easily than before.

I have not measured negative arch but visually it appears about the same as block on and stock shackle and location.
I've spent alitt time researching shock orientation specially bushings direction the way I have it on the frame end seems it would pivot with axle droop and compression turning it would mean its now pivoting only on bushings misalignment in rubber poly or possibly flex joint.. on axle end my mind says bushings orientation doesn't play as big a role since no matter what shock is moving with axle.
Though the other direction is on misalignment maybe it needs to pivot that way more for axle for and aft movement?

Pirate seems to be where I end up when finding good info I see no concrete words or even anyone stating right or wrong way.

However I am eyeing rear fenders and thinking about building a shock pocket into body. Obviously it's more convenient to bolt shock in the way I have done the front.

If that is wrong I'd like to find out. do you have link to threads here or possibly pirate so I can do some reading.

I did add a second bolt to my front mount adapter.

Seems solid and will serve its purpose well even if it was hacked together by a hack offcourse I mean me. I've always got lots of room for improvement.

Thanks for your words of encouragement it's always nice to see a thread followed so thoroughly.

Ive seen questions about shock eye orientation quite a few time on different threads. But mostly in build threads not a topic thread. Shock eye orientation should stay as stock. Allowing swing left to right on the vehicle to account for axle articulation. Not front to back swing.

However I am eyeing rear fenders and thinking about building a shock pocket into body. Obviously it's more convenient to bolt shock in the way I have done the front.

Thanks for your words of encouragement it's always nice to see a thread followed so thoroughly.

Regarding the rear shocks, these might be of interest to you:

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com/Rear-XJ-Shock-Towers_p_21.html

Regarding the attention to your thread, I think a bunch of folks have suddenly found themselves with too much time on their hands. And they aren't necessarily happy about it either. The whole world has lost its mind. The evidence shows up everywhere. Kudos to you for your patience with it.

Interesting.. I seriously DIG what Boostwerks puts out.. beefy quality isht!

Although, I always thought triangulating the rears was the big baller cool kid thing to do?!? LOL but ya, the only body hacking jobs I’ve seen were for coil over hoops.

Neat!

And OP, you are right on... there is no right and wrong here. YOUR build, others opinions built on other people’s experiences. All the great builds learned from things that worked and things that did not... if it fails? You will learn and improve it.

You are a much bigger man than I for how you responded to haterism

Last edited:
I did stumble on the boost work shock pockets. That's where I got the idea

I do think I'll attempt the pockets. I'd love to buy from boostworjs but 184 bucks buys a fair amount of 1/4" plate.

Guys thanks for kind words and confirmation that my shock mounts will work. Was hoping my mind pictured it correctly and it did.

Thank you

I don't know where you got the idea that your lower mount will work.

I've been here since the conception of Naxja, I was 40yrs old then and 61 now. I've seen this "movie" play over, and over, and over again with only the names changing. I've seen thousands of "Evan's" come and go. I built my first long arm 17yrs ago when they were just being talked about, but the bottom line is there hasn't been any new revelations in Jeeps in decades. There are more things readily available but that's about it!

My photos on lower must not be clear its shares same orientation as ipper

Accept my apology, I couldn't see the tree thru the forest, still crude but they'll work.

Heres the lower with long bolt through it At ride height I have 4" up and 4" down. And using it all.

Rear shocks have 10" of stroke

This is more than enough suspension for how I used this rig. Doubtful I have enough rear fender to make us of 10" of shock
c79a69df867118a24a21779159bbf93d.jpg

I have not seen how they ride.
Suposebly valved softer for the gladiator.

Lower will be plated in but currently isnt yet.
This gives me the ability to run any universal shocks on the front.

Rcp
Accepted but no apologies needed I'll take constructive criticism anyway I can get it.
You did have me second guessing but hd to roll with what I've done in the passed that has worked for me. I did 62" springs on my k5 youd have really liked that hack of a build I did.

Heres the mounts I did a few years ago that I'm cutting off.
241de3f2ff900529138f091320c1349a.jpg

Here's the stance after shackle and relocating shackle mount.
Just 1/2" lower in the rear with about a 60deg shackle angle.

Looks tall in this pic but I assure you it's not.

I cant decide what to do with rear shocks.
If I'm going to do that work I could link the rear

Just thinking.

I did run the front shocks last night. On the street its smoother and soaks up choppy washboard gravel rds.
Has completely different feel. I wouldn't go out on limb yet and say better since I have ran on trails yet going slow on rocks and such. But seems promising
bfdfea022005a4d2a10589f4db07e782.jpg

Back