• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission oil cooler line connector broke

SmokeyTheRedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I’m new to the group and today I decided I was going to replace the lower or return tranny cooler line because for the life of me I could not get the old one to stop leaking but that’s another story so I went down to Napa got the new line went to put it in everything is working out I thread in the connector and get it finger right I take my wrench spin it once or twice and broke it at the housing I cannot get it to thread in now and have no idea how to fix it without getting a new transmission I’ve heard of tapping it so far which I’ve never done but what do you guys think and thank you for having me

The fitting is already threaded, you can buy the replacement (stock) fitting or even upgrade to SS hose.
20180604_162916_zpsvcmxajx0.jpg

You broke one of these big ugly hose connectors off the transmission? As said before, the remaining piece should come out pretty easy unless you have it cross threaded -- after that you could swap to -6an stainless hose or source a new OEM connector

Problem with OEM is your using a new OEM designed hose -- it will leak again and probably sooner than you think -- those new "made in Mexico" hoses don't last very long

picture.php

I cant figure out how to post pictures but the threads the connector goes into the Lower or return hose how it bulges off the housing I broke maybe .25 to .5 inch off the threads of the actual housing not the connector itself but now I can not get the new connector to thread into the damaged hole was looking around last night I was thinking of using helicoil but at that point would I have to grind the hoousing down to where the tip of the break was or could I just tap the damaged hole and put the helicoil in and not have it slide out

You shouldn't have needed to remove the adapter to replace the line unless the o-ring behind it was leaking. If it's the threaded boss on the side of the trans that's damaged, I would consider JB-Welding in the metric to AN-6 adapter Heavyopp posted or just epoxy the original adapter back in. Just make sure you clean the oil off real well first.

The threads are shot pretty bad I’m gonna try to jb weld the piece back on and thread in the old adapter see if I can save myself the time and strain of tapping everything

Just remember that’s not standard pipe threads — I forget exactly what it’s called but it’s pipe threads without the taper

The taper on a standard pipe thread would split the aluminum port on the trans as you tighten

It was a straight bolt in with the threads in the tranny, 14mm x 1.5mm with a o-ring.

I wish I was able to post pictures so you guys could see let me clarify what I’m saying I have the oem connector got it from autozone when I was threading it into the hole or port which ever you prefer on the side of the transmission the port broke at the top right not the connector but the port so where I am currently is I cleaned the Jesus out of it and placed the broken part of the port back in place and jb welded it I am currently letting it cure for 24 hours so I’ll check it after work my plan is to try and thread the old adapter in and see if I can catch thread if so I will be doing what heavyopp has suggested and go with the as lines instead if I can’t catch thread then I will try and drill and tap and use a helicoil to thread in what heavyopp has suggested

I get whats wrong -- the threads are stripped out of the connector on the trans

If it where me, I'd pull the trans and work on it on the bench -- Gonna be hard to do any real repair up under there -- The trans comes out easy

Either way your gonna need to fix those threads

I wish I was able to post pictures so you guys could see let me clarify what I’m saying I have the oem connector got it from autozone when I was threading it into the hole or port which ever you prefer on the side of the transmission the port broke at the top right not the connector but the port so where I am currently is I cleaned the Jesus out of it and placed the broken part of the port back in place and jb welded it I am currently letting it cure for 24 hours so I’ll check it after work my plan is to try and thread the old adapter in and see if I can catch thread if so I will be doing what heavyopp has suggested and go with the as lines instead if I can’t catch thread then I will try and drill and tap and use a helicoil to thread in what heavyopp has suggested

I get whats wrong -- the threads are stripped out of the connector on the trans

If it where me, I'd pull the trans and work on it on the bench -- Gonna be hard to do any real repair up under there -- The trans comes out easy

Either way your gonna need to fix those threads

With the pressures involved this is going to be a tough fix. You may need to pull the trans and heli-arc it.

Back