• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beadlocks: weld-on vs $$$

denverd1

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a set of waggy 44s. Then picked up a set of 37s. was going to wait until fall/winter to start working on them but now that I've got a good sized parts pile, I'm getting antsy to get them torn down, regeared, trussed, locked and under the jeep.

Still got a few things I need to get sorted out before I get cracking on it, but started looking at beadlocks. Thought I would weld a set of rings onto a 17" steel wheel. 17x9 wheels are around 90'ish plus another 100 per wheel give or take for the rings and hardware. Or pay 350'ish per wheel for Trail Ready or similar beadlocks.

Any downside to weld on beadlocks? I do know the weld has to be good and sit flush with the lip of the wheel and obviously hold air. Other than that, is there any difference in building a set vs buying them? The beadlock rims (Trail Ready)these tires came off of left the tires in perfect shape, bead not deformed at all. That's how I want these to work as well.

what's your experience with weld ons? or should I pony up for good rims?

Last edited:
You would get out of it, what you put into it! What all equipment do have to do the job?

110 flux core welder. actively looking for a hobart 140 so I can use gas. done a few projects with it but probably wouldn't use it for welding on rings, or I could go to a buddies shop for a bigger unit.

Well that's not going to work! How would you cut the wheel straight/true?

Time is another aspect. Is the time it takes to makes the mod (assuming you don't mess up) worth the gamble? Now if you mess up, you're right in the ballpark of just buying a set from the start.

Well that's not going to work! How would you cut the wheel straight/true?

cut the wheel? Guess I'll watch some vids. didn't think cutting a wheel was part of process and never seen it mentioned in any DIY beadlock writeups. thought the inner ring dropped inside the outer lip of the wheel :anon:

That only works for "beadlooks" !!!

I've got DIY beadlocks from Total Metal Innovations. You drop the inner ring in and go to town with the welder, no cutting involved.

or just go w/ some allied rock a thons, reason cost,good quality steel beadlocks, summit racing has the best prices on them & quick delivery. why bash up $350 a wheel alloy wheels when you can bash up much cheaper steel ones. and they both do the same job. i have used them on 2 jeeps so far , never popped a bead yet , even w/ 37's at 8 lbs. have even went as low as 4 lbs sometimes for serious rock crawlin. i just cant justify $350 a wheel .

Sorry, my mistake I hadn't looked into it for years, there are a lot a new kits out there! I'm old and old schooled!

or just go w/ some allied rock a thons, reason cost,good quality steel beadlocks, summit racing has the best prices on them & quick delivery. why bash up $350 a wheel alloy wheels when you can bash up much cheaper steel ones. and they both do the same job. i have used them on 2 jeeps so far , never popped a bead yet , even w/ 37's at 8 lbs. have even went as low as 4 lbs sometimes for serious rock crawlin. i just cant justify $350 a wheel .

got a link? summit has double beadlocks and a couple rings
found an article on rockcrawler.com, but the banner ad for them was dead

raceline buy allied or something?

very interested in allied, just can't find them. well, I found these: https://www.alliedwheel.com/p-1526-rt81-rock-8-steel-beadlocks.aspx
but we're back to $300+ for 17x9

Are you good using the flux core welder you have?

Use it if you are -- no reason flux core is inferior -- may need to make more than one pass if you don't get sufficient penetration the 1st time around

Are you good using the flux core welder you have?

Use it if you are -- no reason flux core is inferior -- may need to make more than one pass if you don't get sufficient penetration the 1st time around

I think so. Have had a friend who is pipeline inspector take a look at a few, he says they're solid.

Then use it -- my 1st welder was a little Lincoln weldpac 100 -- always ran .035 flux core thru it

That little welder did a ton of work -- if my material was too thick I'd weld a pass, grind out half of the weld, and make another pass -- also bevel the edges of your work pieces prior to welding if you need -- good prep makes for good,solid welds

got a link? summit has double beadlocks and a couple rings
found an article on rockcrawler.com, but the banner ad for them was dead

raceline buy allied or something?

very interested in allied, just can't find them. well, I found these: https://www.alliedwheel.com/p-1526-rt81-rock-8-steel-beadlocks.aspx
but we're back to $300+ for 17x9

fourxdoctor.com has 17 x 9.5 allied wheel bead locks for $217.00 , depending on the lug pattern you need , 17 x 8 is even less cost.

I still wouldn't use shielded wire, it burns to hot which leads to warping. It doesn't take to re-starts without some cleaning to avoid air leaks. I don't even use CO2 very often, I use mostly 75/25 CO/Arg mix mostly with the occasional Arg/Hel mix or a similar mix for TIG.

i got my dirty lifes for less than $1k shipped to my door. that was a few months ago so idk if prices have gone up or not.

Back