• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you break?

two_door_rob

NAXJA Member
First off, big thanks to everyone who helped me get out of Pritchett Canyon in 2wd. Might still be there if it wasn't for all the help. Now on to the fun part. What did everyone break?

Dana 30 Carrier and cross pin
Chewed up the lunchbox locker and the Ring & Pinion
U joints on rear driveshaft
Dana 30 shafts(1 broken,1 twisted splines)
Driver taillight
Trailer tire blow out
Steering box is starting to leak

Think that's about it

Last edited:
I also want to thank everyone that helped put the jeep back on its wheels Friday and on the trailer Saturday.

Drivers door glass on Friday flop day, along with some dents.

8.25 ring and pinion and carrier on Saturday snow day. I believe the locker is still good.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Rear bumper is loose
Power steering is leaking near the pump
Passenger rear brake line has a leak near the caliper, I think the banjo loosened up
I made the mistake of paying good money to Currie for a housing and mounts....
8urKJ_KOZNps6hHGCby3y6rWT5TGU8z-YgRyCRb-w3PAclNDMFmtxLFzDQLrDSPrSoOL8J5nuGR2kL1bnLAmejeXrTGjLPFc9IAj-na4aqk7n9RfDm9zzojNomCwXTgSCU3ru6tf4KE=w1200

The mount was barely welded and now that it broke I can see the lower control arm mount is barely welded on as well.

Power steering is leaking near the pump

I made the mistake of paying good money to Currie for a housing and mounts....
8urKJ_KOZNps6hHGCby3y6rWT5TGU8z-YgRyCRb-w3PAclNDMFmtxLFzDQLrDSPrSoOL8J5nuGR2kL1bnLAmejeXrTGjLPFc9IAj-na4aqk7n9RfDm9zzojNomCwXTgSCU3ru6tf4KE=w1200

The mount was barely welded and now that it broke I can see the lower control arm mount is barely welded on as well.

Well that stinks.

Nothing worse than paying a premium and getting bottom of the barrel quality.

I also came home with a power steering leak at the pump. Tank to pump o-ring. On a new as of August 2017 PSC pump/tank assembly. But I knew I had the leak before leaving for Moab. Ordered o-rings, but they didn't come in until later the same morning that I left. I just monitored fluid level for the week. No issues until I got home. Pulling the Jeep out of the trailer the power steering started to howl. No problem. Parts were here. All fixy-fixy now.

The track bar was on it's way out before I left, but after replacing everything else and having an alignment, it of course reared it's ugly head after the intro to Moab (for 2 of my passenger's) Hell's revenge run.

Replaced on Wednesday with parts sourced in town, everything else pretty much held together the rest of the week.

b99a3cf50d203140d7e5a39dcdcdebeb.jpg

I did bend my pins in my set up to hold the sway bar up, but no permanent damage.

I do have some sort rotational noise (thinking possibly front driveshaft ujoints might need changed after 82k miles and 14 years old) from the front end that I could hear Saturday on the crack, so I just turned the radio up for now.

mac 'lost a beauty ring off one of the trailer rims on the way home' gyvr

ae001325e77f3bc3103cd73d98ac9193.jpg

Completely lost the spindle, hub/brake assembly and wheel/tire on I70 west of Glenwood Springs. Further inspection at a shop in Grand Junction showed that the weight transfer bent the front axle as well.

Grand total = Two axle beams, one new hub/brake assy, one trailer wheel/tire and two days lost.

Killed the original alternator from 1995 after winching a couple Jeeps up the optional line on Top of the World.

Other than that, everything held together.

I broke the following,
-Re-broke an already shattered Passenger tail light that was taped up
-Cracked the drivers side tail light
-Possibly a rear wheel cylinder. Looked to be a bit of fluid on a rear wheel
-Possibly a rear main seal, didn't leak on the rental garage floor all week until the last day while packing up.

Might be more but I haven't had time to get unloaded; let alone do a full once-over of the rig.

Well jeep didn't do to bad for what it is. Here is what I know is wrong,

Leaking rear axle seals
Blown rear shocks
Bent leaf springs
Power steering developed a little while but not sure why yet
Leaking fuel tank around pump seal
T-case kept kicking out front output and sometimes both outputs. Hoping it's just a shifter adjustment. Ended up doing half of hell's revenge in 2wd.

And then on drive home busted a trailer hub on a pot hole in Colorado which in turn took out the spindle so now trailer is getting a new axle put in here soon.
22943a1181e4baef9bc0b5af343d16b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Front axle shaft ujoint....oddly enough on one of the easiest sections of Top of The World too...:dunno:

I also have quite the banging noise coming from what I suspect is a bum steering box.

Nothing.

Had to swap an axle shaft u-joint mid week at the condo because I found some play in the existing joint. I'd call it last minute preventative maintenance.

Winch will need new solenoids, discovered no power out early in the week, still had power in.

Need to rework the front bumps. Rallying the road from Pritchett and Behind the Rocks pushed them to their limit. Half of them are still there.

Had half a fender literally tear itself off the Jeep on the trailer ride home. :dunno:

I scattered my engine 2 weeks before the event. Dillon helped me get one in the following weekend. Don't ever use cork gaskets. They shrink and the valve cover bolts loosen. We snapped one off retightening.

Back