• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter won’t go on aw4

Hopelessredneck

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a 97 XJ country it came with a seized 4.0 I have a good 4.0l from a zj so I was unable to pull the tc with the transmission it had to stay with the engine due to not being able to get the tc bolts out of the flex plate till i pulled the crank out of the block but now the tc won go back on to the aw4 no matter how much I spin wiggle and push on the tc it won’t spline on. This it the exact same tc that was on the trans when the engine was bolted to the trans. I found that the inner imput shaft will spin by hand but the outer one will not spin at all even with a pair of Chanel lock pliers on it (with a rag in between to protect the splines) I’m at a loss here any help would be a huge help as in not to familiar with the aw4

So I bought a 97 XJ country it came with a seized 4.0 I have a good 4.0l from a zj so I was unable to pull the tc with the transmission it had to stay with the engine due to not being able to get the tc bolts out of the flex plate till i pulled the crank out of the block but now the tc won go back on to the aw4 no matter how much I spin wiggle and push on the tc it won’t spline on. This it the exact same tc that was on the trans when the engine was bolted to the trans. I found that the inner imput shaft will spin by hand but the outer one will not spin at all even with a pair of Chanel lock pliers on it (with a rag in between to protect the splines) I’m at a loss here any help would be a huge help as in not to familiar with the aw4
The inner shaft should spin and the outer shaft shouldn't spin. It should go back in, you might need to pull it out a little spin it and try putting it back in.

Which engine did the TC you are trying to use come off of?

Are you sure of that? ZJ's only came with the AW-4 in 1993, after that they went to Chryco transmissions.

Back