• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

R&P pattern check

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
Well ive decided to attempt learning a new skill on the jeep, ive put everything in as it was on the last set up, just a rough starting point.

Might I Trouble your wiser minds for a few pattern checks as I progress with this please?

My first fitment had no backlash, the photo is round two moving .010 from ring side to non ring side. Backlash is at .007

I gather the pinion is too deep by the sharp line on the drive side?

Thank you
b45bf9960e27ad472693a0153ef2f583.jpg
f66dd9785b9e815bb5aa68f776d9b377.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDK man, I'd be ok with that in mine. I've only ever set up like 4 or 5, so I'm absolutely not an expert at it, but the contact pattern looks good in my opinion. How did you determine your pinion shim thickness? Or did you use the one that was already there stock?

Another gear newb but I'd run that

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That looks pretty darn good!

Really haha? I truly have no clue. I thought the drive side looked a bit sharp, but thats really not an educated opinion. I guess all the good pictures I see always seem to have a smoother pattern. Theres some seriously odd to ring and gear patterns that are "acceptable" based on some of those charts.

RCP if it was your gears would you do anything else?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I’m a noob when it comes to setting gears... the depth looks a little shallow on the left pic, but the right looks better so could just be camera angle.. looks pretty solid to me though. How hard would it be to check the other axle for comparison? My OCD would probably lead me down that path.”- most likely unnecessary extra work :/

The second set of pictures the depth of pinion is closer to center (heel to toe) but not quite there.

The first set of pictures shows a much better root to crown pattern.

Back