• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need longer brake lines?

Remus Redbone

NAXJA Forum User
I have a ‘95 XJ with a very mild lift; 1.0” spacers on the front coils with the old spring pads left in place, and a leaf added in the rear, which probably added close to 2”, but the rear was sagging before. I believe the leaf kit stated 1.0” to 1.5”. I have LT235 / 75 x 15 tires on stock YJ wheels. On a recent off-road trip, I got the Jeep up on two opposite corner wheels several times, leaving the other two wheels spinning in the wind. I managed to work through these spots, but I’m planning to set up the front stabilizer bar with quick-disconnects on the end links to get a little more articulation.

My question is whether I need to change out the front brake lines to something a little longer. I don’t think my lift Is enough to need longer lines, but if I release the stabilizer, will I reach the length limit? Also, I read or heard somewhere that YJ stock lines are a few inches longer than XJ lines, and are better than trying to tie up the excess length of lines designed for a 4 - 6” lift. Can anyone confirm that is correct?

You don't need longer lines. Even on my 3" lift I didn't need longer brake lines. That's about the max I would go on stock length lines though. If I were going to do some serious (swaybar disconnected) off road crawling, then maybe. But with a small spacer/shackle lift I wouldn't concern myself with it.

I'd say your good on stock lines. I didnt notice any line streching until getting rid of swaybar with about 2" of lift.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

YJ lines are longer. At about 3 inches of lift is when you need to do something with the brake lines.

I did put a set of YJ front brake lines on a 2" lift. They did fit with stock brakes. They also have a longer metal section. I upgraded to WJ Big Brakes. Then they did not fit. I went with brake lines from Wagner and Raybestos for 3-4" lifts. There is a Chinese brand that is 1" longer than stock. Check out Rock Auto, lengths are listed.

Last edited:
I think you're fine. You can always take the "Z" bend out of the front hard lines as well.

yep. on front, disconnect where the hard line mounts on the frame rail. stretch out the bends, that will get you at least an inch.

I ran with right at 4" lift for years with stock lines and no problems, with the above done to front. finally added extended lines about a year ago prepping to go higher.

definitely not an issue with your current altitude

All excellent news to me. I’ll make sure my current lines have all the slack I can make available and hit the Ozarks with confidence I won’t pull a brake line in two. Thanks to all.

Back