• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Taillight replacements

StinkyFab

NAXJA Forum User
Those of you who would like to replace the hard to find stock taillights may wanna take a look at the boxes I made for the SFR Lab Rat.

Here's the thread from the other forum. I'm planning to make these parts available if there's interest.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1132585&page=8

108_4847-R.jpg

I can't pin down exactly what that reminds me of, but it is somewhere in this era:

1962FordF100_02_700.jpg

Cool. Is a roll pan next?

I think there's always interest in these just because of the rarity of the tail lights and how expensive they can be to replace. I only know of one company that has metal replacements.

I won't say no, because I build a lot of things I never thought I would, but I will say it's very doubtful. The MJ is a pretty small market, and really the only reason I designed these at all was to put them on my own rig.

I don't think you're really gonna find much else that fits. Once you account for the radius at the corner there isn't much flat area on the back.

I have a pair of rustys that same setup but there's screws in to factory holes, I prefer the smooth look so I chose to weld then do body work. Here they are installed as suggested with screws
745a7147671fb9527a6ebc7209e18efc.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Can you post some better angles of the side contour curve? That is what made me by rustys instead of fabricating them myself, they done a perfect job of following the body line in that regard, just seemed I couldn't ever get it right when I tried

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Those Rusty's tail light boxes are pricey!

It's funny you say that. I was having a discussion this morning about these, saying that in order to make a bolt in piece that fits well, for such a small market the price would end up being higher than people would be willing to pay. Rustys price is actually lower than my estimate.

It's funny you say that. I was having a discussion this morning about these, saying that in order to make a bolt in piece that fits well, for such a small market the price would end up being higher than people would be willing to pay. Rustys price is actually lower than my estimate.
I would honestly rather support you than Rusty's.
How many pairs would need to be sold to get it in the price range of the Rusty's ones?
Would it potentially be much cheaper without a cutout for the lights?

One idea I also had was a tail light box/rear bed quarter protector.

The cutout honestly makes exactly zero difference one way or the other. That's just the matter of a couple mouse clicks. The hard part is tooling for the curves and getting the mounting points aligned properly.

Although, I suppose one could potentially save money over the years not breaking tails and replacing them.

The cutout honestly makes exactly zero difference one way or the other. That's just the matter of a couple mouse clicks. The hard part is tooling for the curves and getting the mounting points aligned properly.

Especially for somebody who is apparently backing into things often enough to need to replace tail lights frequently. :laugh3:

Back