• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What happened to the Mishimoto radiator thread?

So would there be a 1-row all aluminum with a single 2" row and a really high fins per inch count for say 250$ ? and a 2 row all aluminum with (2) 1.25" rows with a really high fins per inch count for say 500$ ?

if we can be sure its high quality I suppose it will be worth the price. Ive had good luck with the eBay cheap 2 rows myself, but I also replace radiators every 3 years or so regardless one way or the other .

I suppose I would not mind the price tag as much if I knew for a fact that these things are leagues better over the eBay cheap-os in every way possible.

If you are having to replace raduators every couple of years either the ebay ones arent working for you as well as you think or you need to stop using acid for coolant.

Interesting dialog.

Many XJers don't have a problem dropping $1,000 on aftermarket lighting and audio equipment.
They also spend several thousand dollars on lifts, tires, wheels, armor, roof racks, etc, which add weight and rolling/wind resistance to the rig and make the engine work harder, which taxes the stock cooling system.

Spending $500 on a better radiator to offset the additional cooling demands created by all of these mods and to keep your engine performing at designed operating temps for over 100k miles seems like a pretty good deal.

I have this same discussion(and frustration) with steering.

Some of us don't waste money. A grand in the audio system is downright stupid.

I'd have to go digging for the invoice, but off a quick search I think this one:

http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details8.php?PartID=339&year=&make=&model=&key_id=8-00168

Last year when my 2k with a 0331 head started having a over-heating issues I splurged on a Griffin. Their reputation for quality/workmanship was good enough for me. While it didn't fix my problem it sure didn't overheat. Now with the new stroker and a Hesco pump it likes to stay cool!
P1080458_zpsek7mvixy.jpg

Last edited:
wait. you make customers pay freight on warranty repairs?

Unfortunately, to keep product costs down for everybody, we do. My colleagues and I usually try to work within our means to offset or reduce that cost in one way or another; but that's not always possible. Hopefully you never have to use our warranty, but if you do, you can always reach out to myself or one of my colleagues on the forums and we'll do whatever we can to help.

The Giffin Radiator website states: "Jeep Cherokee Large Thick Core Notes: Will Not Fit as Factory"

So this radiator requires the use of two ten inch fans.

If I wanted to retain the stock fan set up would you recommend a great cooling and quality radiator?

Our radiator will be a direct fit with the factory fans ;) :wave1:

-Steve

The Giffin Radiator website states: "Jeep Cherokee Large Thick Core Notes: Will Not Fit as Factory"

If I wanted to retain the stock fan set up would you recommend a great cooling and quality radiator?

Don't know where you got that info? My Griffin is a exact fit for my 2000 using stock fans!
http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details5.php?PartID=194&year=00&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee XJ&select_Main_Group=2000&select_Sub_Group=Jeep&select_Sub_Group_model=Cherokee XJ&select_Sub_Group_Engine=31 X 11.34&select_Sub_Group_Transmission=TOC&key_id=5-70095

Last edited:

Thats a big jump from point a to point b. I use the radiator without two ten inch fans.

Its thicker. You aren't going to bolt it in with an HD ZJ fan clutch, as it will be too tight. You won't put an AC condensor in front of it with some 1" thick trans coolers in front of that and bolt the grill on.

But you CAN use it in a stock configuration. Just may have to make concessions to fitment depending on circumstance.

Unfortunately, to keep product costs down for everybody, we do. My colleagues and I usually try to work within our means to offset or reduce that cost in one way or another; but that's not always possible. Hopefully you never have to use our warranty, but if you do, you can always reach out to myself or one of my colleagues on the forums and we'll do whatever we can to help.

-Steve

I have to admit that is a problem for me. The warranty is there to cover manufacturer defects that cause the part to not last its anticipated service life.

If I have to pay because a manufacturer had a production flaw, they just aren't standing behind the product at all.

If they are anticipating enough failures that taking care of them would stop them from keeping the cost down.....

My expectation on warranty issues is that the customer pays the freight to send the defective item back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer pays the freight to ship the repaired or new part back.

That said, if the manufacturer will accept photographic evidence in lieu of me having to ship them a bulky, difficult to package product then I am not going to have quite as much trouble with the idea that I am going to pay for shipping of the replacement.

OTOH, if I am going to have to figure out how to package up and pay for shipping of the bulky, defective product, and then have to pay shipping for the replacement, that is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I might be inclined to share that experience with others.

Can Steve add some illumination on this process for us?

I have to admit that is a problem for me. The warranty is there to cover manufacturer defects that cause the part to not last its anticipated service life.

If I have to pay because a manufacturer had a production flaw, they just aren't standing behind the product at all.

If they are anticipating enough failures that taking care of them would stop them from keeping the cost down.....

This is very well-put. Couldn't agree more.

Don't know where you got that info? My Griffin is a exact fit for my 2000 using stock fans!]

Thats a big jump from point a to point b. I use the radiator without two ten inch fans.

Its thicker. You aren't going to bolt it in with an HD ZJ fan clutch, as it will be too tight. You won't put an AC condensor in front of it with some 1" thick trans coolers in front of that and bolt the grill on.

But you CAN use it in a stock configuration. Just may have to make concessions to fitment depending on circumstance.

I got that info from the Griffin Link that Cal provided: http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details8.php?PartID=339&year=&make=&model=&key_id=8-00168

I see you recommend this link for a replacement: http://www.griffinrad.com/load_details5.php?PartID=194&year=99&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee

I see this one is an exact replacement for the original style. Thanks.

Last edited:

My expectation on warranty issues is that the customer pays the freight to send the defective item back to the manufacturer and the manufacturer pays the freight to ship the repaired or new part back.

That said, if the manufacturer will accept photographic evidence in lieu of me having to ship them a bulky, difficult to package product then I am not going to have quite as much trouble with the idea that I am going to pay for shipping of the replacement.

OTOH, if I am going to have to figure out how to package up and pay for shipping of the bulky, defective product, and then have to pay shipping for the replacement, that is going to leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I might be inclined to share that experience with others.

Can Steve add some illumination on this process for us?

Cal, to be honest, I don't disagree, which is why I usually work with customer service to offset that cost. We have a double-edged sword with the lifetime warranty. On one hand it provides our customers with confidence that the product will last and if they ever have a problem, they don't have to worry about buying a full replacement. On the other hand, it's virtually impossible to build any product that lasts the entire lifespan of every vehicle. The anticipated service life for our products is forever - even if you move it to another vehicle, as long as you have the radiator, if it ever fails, we cover it. We also cover the radiator in the event of an accident. That being said, I can see how that $30 charge can be jarring, especially when you are already having an issue that requires you to contact us. That's why my colleagues and I usually do everything we can to mitigate that cost.

To answer Anak, we usually don't make our customers send back warranty products. If we do, it's for us to study - we will pay return shipping, send you a shipping label, and just ask that you package up the failed rad in the new radiator's box. Our policy is to ask for photos of issues and that, along with your receipt or order number, is all we need to process a warranty claim. So, you will never pay return shipping on a failed product, and in the (hopefully unlikely) event that you do have to file a warranty claim, we'll work with you in any way we can to mitigate the cost of shipping for the replacement.

I hope that helps and I do appreciate your feedback. Again, my job is to help our customers in any way I can, so please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thanks,

-Steve

Forgot to mention: you can read all of the details for our lifetime warranty here: https://www.mishimoto.com/lifetime-warranty/

I can live with that.

In essence, I expect that I will have to pay shipping to qualify my warranty claim. Generally that happens at the front end of the issue.

Mishimoto is willing to qualify my claim in another fashion, and I am paying shipping on the back end instead.

It is the same net result.

Cal, to be honest, I don't disagree, which is why I usually work with customer service to offset that cost. We have a double-edged sword with the lifetime warranty. On one hand it provides our customers with confidence that the product will last and if they ever have a problem, they don't have to worry about buying a full replacement. On the other hand, it's virtually impossible to build any product that lasts the entire lifespan of every vehicle. The anticipated service life for our products is forever - even if you move it to another vehicle, as long as you have the radiator, if it ever fails, we cover it. We also cover the radiator in the event of an accident. That being said, I can see how that $30 charge can be jarring, especially when you are already having an issue that requires you to contact us. That's why my colleagues and I usually do everything we can to mitigate that cost.

To answer Anak, we usually don't make our customers send back warranty products. If we do, it's for us to study - we will pay return shipping, send you a shipping label, and just ask that you package up the failed rad in the new radiator's box. Our policy is to ask for photos of issues and that, along with your receipt or order number, is all we need to process a warranty claim. So, you will never pay return shipping on a failed product, and in the (hopefully unlikely) event that you do have to file a warranty claim, we'll work with you in any way we can to mitigate the cost of shipping for the replacement.

I hope that helps and I do appreciate your feedback. Again, my job is to help our customers in any way I can, so please let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thanks,

-Steve

Forgot to mention: you can read all of the details for our lifetime warranty here: https://www.mishimoto.com/lifetime-warranty/

We live in a world where trusting a company in quality and customer care is waning. I wish it were different but that's modern life.

For any company wanting to sell a product in today's market, would be an extreme challenge to balance affordability with quality and service the product for life. Making the product a radiator and not some CNC cut piece of steel puts them in a separate league.

Looks to me that Mishimoto is bending over backwards to meet that balance and still make it worth their time.

My rad is the original and I look to upgrade very soon. Will seriously consider this one. I'm taking a chance on getting a bum part from anywhere these days.

The anticipated service life for our products is forever - even if you move it to another vehicle, as long as you have the radiator, if it ever fails, we cover it. We also cover the radiator in the event of an accident.

That makes this product even more appealing.

Does the new Mishimoto Radiator have a transmission cooler built in like the stock one? I just wanted to verify this before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Ryan

Does the new Mishimoto Radiator have a transmission cooler built in like the stock one? I just wanted to verify this before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Our radiator does have a built-in transmission cooler like the OEM radiator.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions!

-Steve

Back