• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quater panel armor: worth it? anyone make flare-friendly armor?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
working on skid plates this weekend, and of course starting thinking of other ways to spend my money...

Been looking at some quarter panels with the rub-rail, are they worth it on the trail, or are they really mostly for looks?

if they're helpful, anyone know of any that are flare-friendly? I have rough country flares-- they're held in by self-tapping screws, which are fine, but I'm not crazy about taking them out if I don't have to.

Worth it? Yep.

This is the result of not having quarter panel guards. If I had them on (I do now) none of this would have happened. And if you are getting close enough to need the rub bars on the quarter guard, your flares aren't going to survive either. Mine didn't.

SAM_0459_zps9bd4a6e1.jpg

8C7B2878-661D-41B9-B00F-1425C2D82947_zpsbnqbahpl.jpg

Worth it? Yep.

This is the result of not having quarter panel guards. If I had them on (I do now) none of this would have happened. And if you are getting close enough to need the rub bars on the quarter guard, your flares aren't going to survive either. Mine didn't.

8C7B2878-661D-41B9-B00F-1425C2D82947_zpsbnqbahpl.jpg

are those niner rims? love 'em.

thanks.. I see they have quarter panel caps on their web site, but I'm looking more for protection for the entire panel:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12249_743X_PG.htm

My bumper already has a cap protection:

Not sure what you are asking...the whole panel? The ones that I have from JCR and that you linked are for the whole panel. If you were to put on the ones from JCR, it won't affect your bumper caps at all. You can see how much it covers since I powder coated mine a gunmetal against the Silverstone metallic. I did a cut and fold where you have the diamond plate. If you look at the "damage" photo you'll see I had protection on the corners also.

Oh, careful with that antenna mount location - trees will grab that pretty fast.

are those niner rims? love 'em.

They used them on the 5.9 I think. These were stock on the 60th Anniversary XJs...Silver Stars.

thanks all for the comments -- I may pull the trigger on or-fab, mostly because I have a ton of amazon points I can use to get them -- they also seem to be well-made and already powder coated. .

They used them on the 5.9 I think. These were stock on the 60th Anniversary XJs...Silver Stars.

That's right, I forgot. niner's were bigger, but were the same style.

Always thought it looked cool so I got them but figured i'd never use them , then I went snow wheeling and they totally make sense now lol

Did I mention they look cool ?

I like how the OR fab ones look. Good to know they are on amazon. As far as flare compatibility, you should be able to make them work or remove them.

I like how the OR fab ones look. Good to know they are on amazon. As far as flare compatibility, you should be able to make them work or remove them.

no reason they won't work-- just have to remove them, drill holes in the armor, and resinstall (possibly sand down the flares to account for the extra material underneath). I just really didn't want to take the flares off -the bolts are self-tapping, and tend to snap when removing (possible that I made the holes too small :) )

i used my flares with my dirtbound armor worked great
IMG_5858_zps9bkmhcs5.jpg

Last edited:
Back