• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

450 mile trip

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
OK I am taking a trip on Sunday from NY to VA Beach.
Wondering what I can do to better prepare the '98 XJ for it.
2 weeks ago I backflushed the entire cooling system.
2000 miles ago I gave it its oil and filter change with mobil 1 10w40 and a Mobil 1 oil filter.
Tires have been rotated and balanced.
Plugs only have 10,000 miles on them.
Cleaned the K&N air filter 2000 miles ago as well.

Any other thoughts to get it ready for the trip?
Thanks

Check your tranny, differential and transfer case levels/clarity. Sounds like you got it under control for the most part. Thats a nice short trip.

Cory

Check your tire pressure (including spare) and engine oil level one last time before you leave.

Snacks? Music?

I got the tunes, I got the snacks, I got the pillow and blanky for the 4 year old. Tire pressure is at 30psi.
Maybe I can get a tranny flush at a Jiffy Lube on Saturday before I go.
What kind of fluid does the XJ like? AW4, 4.0L. I think its Mercon Dexron.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Don't do anything. The trip is only 450 miles, not across the country. I have a 1996 ZJ and all I ever do to it is change the oil every 3000 miles, and top off the fluids as necessary. That jeep of mine has taken me from TN to MI a half dozen times, to IA a half dozen times, to Texas, to MS a bunch of times, to STL, to Chicago, to Milwaukee. I have put over 105xxx miles on it since I bought it and have never needed to do anything special to prepare it for a road trip.

Your XJ should do just fine. If it were me, I would just toss the suitcase in the back and let it roll and enjoy the trip!!!

I wouldn't take anything to a quick lube type place, especially right before a trip I thought was important. Too many people I know first hand that had bad experiences with wrong fluids or too much or too little fluid or drain plugs that were cross threaded, or...

i would not do anything to my XJ, except checking the level of oil, nothing else, IF you do regular maintenance of your vehicle(AND I MEAN REG.!), oil, tranny, diffs shit like that, it should be FINE. I have got a 98 sport. Never had a problem with it!

just read the rest of the posts, buddy... chilll relax,and enjoy the vibes of a lifted XJ:p jK...just drive it.!

My friend, you get plenty of good advice here. It is nice to see some one that is very particular about their XJ. It is not uncommon for me to take my XJ with 178,000 miles to the gas station for a fill up, check the tires and drive to North Connecticut a trip of more than 1,300 miles then back to Miami a few days later. Stop worying. It is after all an XJ.

Back