• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll pin or drilled out broken cross pin bolt

OffroadRico

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have been a short time lurker. I have searched around and know some Dana 35s have a roll pin instead of a cross pin bolt. My issue Is that I have an 88 cherokee which is my off road rig, 4:57 w Auburn lockers f&r. I need to change the axle bearings and seals and when I went to begin the job I was surprised to find the previous owner either snapped the cross pin bolt or it is equipped with a roll pin. Can anyone assist in identifying this? Since o did not have time I just filled her up to go wheeling as the seal leaks are not excessively bad. The previous owner I have noticed did over torque everything and did not know much of the rig as most info was incorrect on the lockers and suspension. Picture of carrier and rig for points.

20180929_083626_zpssud98wec.jpg

20180930_133454_zps7jnctonv.jpg

Looks like a roll pin to me.

That is good to hear, I didn’t really take a chance to look for a punch hole on the ring gear side. Threw me off because it’s almost as if someone tried to cut a slot in the tip. Made me prepare for a broken bolt but an odd shaped drill hole.

88 d35 should be nonc clip

Indeed it should, but this one is a c-clip axle. The person who had this rig before me did not use it for off road but just for looks. Every bit of info given has been incorrect(Supposedly the axle is from a 96). Judging by the 10 inch drums which i doubt are from a police edition being that i am in Puerto Rico.

i will be checking this weekend when i have a chance to drain the diff again and look for a drift punch hole

Does look like a roll pin though yeah?

Looks like the roll pin in my '89 non c-clip. I did have to get a longer punch to get it out though, I am thinking it is about 5 or 6" until it tapers out. My "normal" drift punches were just a bit short to actually drive it out and mine was in there tight.

Looks like the roll pin in my '89 non c-clip. I did have to get a longer punch to get it out though, I am thinking it is about 5 or 6" until it tapers out. My "normal" drift punches were just a bit short to actually drive it out and mine was in there tight.

Any recommendations on where to purchase from/brands you used? So that's what threw me off because there is no bolt access hole on the axle/axle retainer plate but the original owner/modifier used a roll pin which leads me to believe it is a Frankenstein with an old carrier and c-clip housing. Not sure if the measurements make it possible as i don't know them but definitely not the normal/ what was advertised on the buy. Still twin locked though so i enjoy it like crazy!
:laugh:

The bad thing is if it is like a dana 30 need to remove the ring gear in order to drive the roll pin far enough to remove the pin. Not sure how you are gonna remove it. Maybe put a screw part way in with a washer and use a wrench and hammer to tap out.

pull the carrier out of the diff. its a roll pin. punch it out then the remove bolt. make sure you keep your shims and side gears for each side separate and organized so you can reassemble.

Sorry, can't remember where I got them, most likely would have been Amazon though. Don't think I could find them at HF or Sears.
I didn't have to pull the carrier or unbolt the ring to get it out when I did an Aussie lunch box, just needed the longer punch. But, mine is truly a non c-clip. If you have c-clips I'm really not sure.

Oh, I think I had to have it in a certain position to actually push it thru or it would have hit the housing, been a long time though so again, sorry I don't really remember. The roll pin itself I got locally at a fastener shop in Vegas, maybe could have used the old one but for a few cents why take a chance?

Back