• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My XJ's Big Boy Stage II

Took the Jeep out this weekend to Gulches ORV.. And I have to say i don't think I've ever been happier with this Jeep. It performed great went up everything I attempted and didn't have really major issues with the new axle and suspension setup.. Now I did have some leaky wheel issues that were a problem all weekend but that didn't keep me from getting out there. I just didn't seal the headlocks correctly when I mounted them so totally my fault. but thats fixed now.. the Jeep did take on a new significant ding this weekend. Rolled off a ledge real late friday night and back into a another Jeep crushing in my hatch. It was jammed shut for the weekend but I have since got it open and working perfectly now so it won't be getting replaced. Before the weekend started I got some harness bolted in my uncle had laying around. Trimmed little more of my fender to clear the 40s. I also painted my half doors to match the Jeep. I think they turned out alright being rattle can. Other than all of that I am completely happy with it now! I am not trying to make it to AOP for a buddy of mine's birthday towards the end of June but we'll see.

IMG_1274_zpsnbimmuwc.jpg

IMG_1278_zpsv69u5ofn.jpg

IMG_1279_zpsqiguondd.jpg

IMG_1285_zpsi5wdtuop.jpg

IMG_1300_zpsiltjo5zu.jpg

IMG_1307_zpsltejhcus.jpg

IMG_1308_zpspdtglmfp.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsotovfp2u.jpg

IMG_1311_zpsopoprqbm.jpg

IMG_1312_zpszo4gytfp.jpg

IMG_1313_zps1s4n7vzt.jpg

IMG_1318_zpsmdlvbzba.jpg

Been doing a few things to the Jeep getting it ready for AOP the weekend after next. Got my wheels sealed up for the most part and added some more tube to the cage. Had a little mishap welding in one of the spreaders.. Piece of slag got down around the damp rag I had to catch all of that and started a fire behind the dash. I was able to get it out but it did melt some of the HVAC duct work and the radio harness. As far as I know thats it. Jeep still starts and runs which is really all that matters. Gonna get to cleaning it up in the next day or two and attempt to put another radio in it so we'll see how that goes. Also ordered a skid from JCR to cover my crossmember and tcase. I had plans of making one but found that JCR made almost exactly what I had envisioned.

IMG_1345_zpsa51xggnp.jpg

IMG_1348_zpstq1wgmky.jpg

IMG_1354_zpsyigocfxd.jpg

IMG_1353_zpssinywyww.jpg

IMG_1357_zpszcoboree.jpg

IMG_1350_zpszfwctcph.jpg

So the Jeep is pretty much ready for AOP next weekend. Got the last two pieces of tube welded in and then back to the house it went. Once there I took a little look at the damage caused by the fire. Turns out it just melted a few parts. Everything still works with the HVAC and as for radio I just went a bought a new one. Also through some grab handles in I had laying around and installed my new belly skid. I did make a few modifications to the JCR skid plate to gain a little more clearance out of it. I decided to cut a little off the bottom of the factory crossmember to bring the skid up higher. Since I was cutting out a good but of the CM I ended up making it all one piece. cutting a few access holes for the trans mount and factory crossmember bolts and weld it all together. I also added a rib under the transfer case for a little more rigidity. I think it turned out alright but will really see how it does when i bash around on it some lol

IMG_1400_zpsz0v3vlgj.jpg

IMG_1402_zpsd32q3ekn.jpg

IMG_1410_zpsqfci6v8i.jpg

IMG_1412_zpsxydg1prx.jpg

IMG_1414_zpsugocgqd4.jpg

IMG_1416_zpsufce6xh1.jpg

IMG_1417_zps05dn8f25.jpg

So you got that JCR skid to fit over your frame stiffiners?
I wanted to get one but they kept telling me there was no way they would fit over stiffeners even though I've seen a couple with the skid/stiffy combo

So you got that JCR skid to fit over your frame stiffiners?
I wanted to get one but they kept telling me there was no way they would fit over stiffeners even though I've seen a couple with the skid/stiffy combo

Yeah It went on fine, kinda a wedge fit. The outer edges weren't bent straight up but slightly outward so when I started to jack the skid into place they would spread out and then when I ran the bolts in and pulled them back towards the frame tight. Would have been a very straight forward install if I had not altered it like I did. When I went to install it for the last time I did mess up one of the rivet nuts since welding the crossmember to the skid somewhat drew the edges in a little but was able to get it fixed and all bolted in.

Well AOP was cut short for me this past weekend. Got out there around Friday after noon and hit the trails. got like 2 or 3 trails in and while hammering on it to get up a hill I launched the front in up a good bit off the ground got a few feet from the top and the rear driveshaft falls out. Bolts backed out do to my ignorance and not checking them before I left. So we pull the shaft completely out and I backed back down the trail and proceeded to head back to camp to see about fixing it. Took about an hour to get back to camp only having front dig and no real since of where I was nor many easy connecting trails. While making my way down and unfortunately blew out my rear glass and some how messed up the clutch on my winch. After getting it back to camp I got the driveshaft back in and at this point just decided to just get a little drunk and chill out for the night. Next day we all load up and head in to the park. I get maybe 100 yards from the camp and BOOM!! Driveshaft kerplodes! Back to camp I go. At this point I'm just ready to go home. I load up and and head out. Stopping for fuel along the way I'm go to look over everything while I am waiting and realize theres a big ass crack in my frame.. Needless to say I'm not happy about that one but she'll be fixed to a best of my ability. Thought that might not be for a while. Due to some financial issues the Jeep is gonna have to sit for a while. Im gonna hate it but I rather shove it in the corner for another day then get rid of it. But as soon as I get all that worked out I'll get her fixed up and back on the trail!

IMG_1457_zpsun8l7boc.jpg

IMG_1456_zpslssvrpql.jpg

IMG_1466_zpszd0lj9am.jpg

IMG_1448_zpsgcfaur2k.jpg

IMG_1449_zpsfb2cpgz9.jpg

IMG_1452_zpsto7wlqux.jpg

Yeah It went on fine, kinda a wedge fit. The outer edges weren't bent straight up but slightly outward so when I started to jack the skid into place they would spread out and then when I ran the bolts in and pulled them back towards the frame tight. Would have been a very straight forward install if I had not altered it like I did. When I went to install it for the last time I did mess up one of the rivet nuts since welding the crossmember to the skid somewhat drew the edges in a little but was able to get it fixed and all bolted in.

One last question in regards to the skid, who's frame stiffiners are you running?

Awesome build by the way! I like it, working my way in the same direction ever so slowly!

Okay so some update on the Jeep. Its been a good while since I've touched it, trying to get through the summer semester. I have 2 weeks coming up between the summer and fall semester that I' going to try to use to get this thing fixed up and hopefully with the help of another set of tires get it back on the road again for little trips here and there around town. Once I got it back from AOP I pulled the front bumper and steering box off, cleaned up all the gunk and inspected the extent of the damage. The crack starts right in front of the track bar mount about .5-.75" up wraps underneath and up the back side about .25-.5 up. Gonna order a driveshaft next week and hopefully a steer in brace then or shortly after. Then gonna get it over to the shop and start to fixing. Bought some steel plate to add to it over the crack once I weld it up and add a track bar brace as well. Hopefully all of that will fix it for a good while. Picked up a new hatch today, need to get it painted and on the Jeep. After all of that I should be good. Trying to have it done again before school starts in the fall so I won't have to worry about it then. Might go on a small trip or two during that time and trying to plan a bigger one at the end of the semester towards christmas but we'll see. I'll post more updates and pics as they come.

IMG_1689_zpstzztegpg.jpg

IMG_1705_zpsu6ahvqmu.jpg

Got to work on the Jeep the other day.. Made some templates, cut some plate and got it all welded in. Luckily the frame doesn't move anymore but Im not stopping there. Still going to brace both the steering box and track bar to the other frame rail. Im still unsure how I am going to brace the track bar because everything is too tight to just run a piece of tube to the other side, but I'll figure something out.

IMG_1736_zpsuhitplrk.jpg

IMG_1732_zpstft9a9pq.jpg

IMG_1731_zps6bzvj8x8.jpg

IMG_1753_zpsmvqaq25o.jpg

IMG_1754_zpsdvhripff.jpg

IMG_1751_zpsrxuoszeg.jpg

IMG_1752_zpsctvfdpny.jpg

You could probably mimic the 'iron man 4x4' style track bar brace

Or, with the right bends I bet you could squeeze a tube brace in.
I'm about to start mine, I have the same track bar frame side bracket, and same general track bar setup. I'll post some pics when I figure it out, if you don't build one before me.

Looks good! I love your rig

Few more updates. Got the Jeep pretty much done today and back home. Ordered a steering brace today so hopefully that should be here monday. Got a track bar brace made yesterday. Took it out and flexed it to the passenger side to see how much room I had. Surprisingly everything thing clears using 1.75 DOM. Got the ignition issue worked out also which turns out wasn't and ignition switch but a loose wire. Ran into another issue though. Bolting my bumper back up my winch doesn't seem to work anymore but that is the least of my worries right now. Will try to get the new hatch on tomorrow. I was gonna wait tip i got it painted but with all the rain we've been having I'm just gonna get it on and run it for a little while. At this point I am working on getting it back on the road. Need to have the rear end reset up and try to find some more street able tires but there is no rush on any of those so I'll just keep y'all posted..

IMG_1758_zpspmt5pfee.jpg

IMG_1766_zps1ptoior2.jpg

IMG_1767_zpspcchud9c.jpg

IMG_1768_zpsuwh2ela5.jpg

IMG_1770_zpsng7fwbd8.jpg

IMG_1771_zpskzsr8kdo.jpg

Alright so been getting settled into another semester.. Got the new hatch on but I am picking up another one hopefully tomorrow but this one is red lol The rear end turned out not to be a rear end but a locked up caliber which was relieving. Also picked up some road tires for cheap. Some 37" Goodyear OZs with some random steel wheels. Took it for a spin but need to get some locking hubs so I don't mess up my wheel bearings because these isn't enough support for the stub shaft if I just take the slugs out. Finally I got the steering brace on. Heading to Gulches in the morning to see how she does since I fixed the frame.

IMG_1781_zps0bd7hbqg.jpg

IMG_1802_zpskjz8qqf9.jpg

IMG_1934_zpshj3docpd.jpg

Rockdrummer,

My curiosity is wondering what the diff clearance is under the front axle aired up on the Military MTs? You mind pulling a tape measure on that?

Starting to get fed up with this PSC system. I took the Jeep out a couple weeks ago and after a few trails the steering got real hard to steer. Would work fine if I brought the rpms up. After probably the 3rd trail I hit I could smell fluid so stopped and popped the hood. Power steering fluid everywhere! Looked like it was the pressure line. Came home and replaced it. Took the Jeep out again Friday got it off the trailer and as I was pulling into our campsite i could smell fluid again and saw smoke coming up from my hood vents. Popped the hood and again fluid everywhere. Had my girlfriend turn the wheel as I watched the pump to see where it was coming from and saw that it was skirting out the front seal of the pump. After talking to a PSC rep I took some pictures and pulled the pump out. Gonna send the pump in sometimes this week and consult with the rep I talked to Friday to figure out why the seal blew out to begin with.

I think the steering is fixed.. I rerouted some lines and bought a bigger cooler. I probably went a little overkill on the cooler but rather be safe than sorry. Might be going to harlan for thanksgiving break if not then sometime in december with the Clemson Offroad group. Probably won't make both but we'll see,

IMG_2309_zpsdhgy9ldj.jpg

IMG_2310_zpsmjugekui.jpg

So ended up at The Flats for Black Friday. I think I finally got this Jeep working the way I want it to. Need to dial in a couple odds and ends. Steering and all works greats when the Jam nuts don't come loose. Will be getting those set and tacked in now. But other than that all is good!

IMG_2512_zps7wmojkps.jpg

IMG_2514_zps4ck8zfwn.jpg

IMG_2515_zpsrje5mljt.jpg

IMG_2517_zpsu8qw8vtg.jpg

IMG_2513_zpsp1fojbxc.jpg

IMG_2507_zpsdav2fmqi.png

IMG_2503_zpsudi6ohbr.png

IMG_2508_zpsmr4khldx.png

Back