• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blocking airflow to center console duct

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
Every time I have to yank out the center console in my '99 I say to myself, "self, that hvac duct that runs through there serves no useful purpose and is always in the way when working on stuff." Then I go on to say, "the next time I've got this console off, I'm gonna yank out that duct and just plug the hvac outlet that feeds it." Sometimes I don't actually say it aloud, but the thought always runs through my head. Anyway, the center console is out at the moment so today's the day. Or maybe tomorrow.

I've got a couple of ideas for how to plug the hvac outlet, all pretty simple and unlikely to result in fire or other catastrophe, but I'm wondering how others have done it. Maybe there's some kind of standard method that been used successfully hundreds of times and I haven't thought of it. So I'm asking: how have others blocked off the airflow to the center console duct?

Last edited:
Cut out a piece of plastic, duct taped it over the hole

Think I'd rivet something over it.

Over time, duct tape, even as awesome as it is, will dry out and come apart (glue mainly), especially inside a vehicle where it gets hot.

I think what I did was to keep the wide portion attached to the lower dash and cut it where it starts to narrow. I then used hot glue, silicon, or something else to attach another piece of the unused duct to the hole.

This helped me because it filled the gap that was showing through the front of my late model console swap and made it look much better.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I went ahead and cut the “connector” end off the duct and wrapped it with duct tape and then stuck the taped-up stump in the outlet. It looks like it’ll seal pretty well. But having read the last couple of posts, I think I’ll yank it off and fill it with spray foam, which I happen to have on hand anyway.

d2cd24069c0bdc130234b4b972f2cc77.jpg

b943ab45eb6c5c8f88f799769021363f.jpg

Back