• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What BRAND Tranny fluid and T-case fluid do you use? (AW4/NP231)

Factory recommendation.
Drain and fill every 30,000 miles for normal duty.
Taxi, livery, postal delivery, frequent towing every 15,000 miles.
Now, that's drain and fill only.
The only time that pan is supposed to come off is if the trans fails like needing to replace the solenoids or internal problems, or if the gasket leaks.
That internal screen is there to keep debris out of the valve body in the event there is a catastrophic failure. It's not a filter.
Changing the fluid at the recommended intervals, with the recommended fluids, is more important than the brand of fluid used.

BG products full synthetic ATF ftw. Comes in gallon jugs. Pull return line and stick into an empty washer fluid bottle, pump 4 qts out, replace 4 qts new fluid, repeat 3-4x or until happy with color/condition of new fluid. 30min job and more old fluid comes out than with a drain and fill or pan drop. Doing it this way gets the old fluid out of the torque converter. By the time you finish you should be about 85%-90% new fluid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently installed a Magnefine filter
in my 96 Sport, and it's keeping the
fluid cherry red. I don't think the brand
matters as long as it's in specs...

I use the lowest price of dex/merc. I tried mobile 1 full synthetic years ago and found that it caused torque converter slippage confirmed by lower stall speed. After flushing system stall returned to normal. 2200 rpm’s if memory serves.

Well I’m glad I read this posting…fill like a idiot I just rebuilt my transfer case 3 months ago. I thought it took gear oil like the differentials.

I was at a flea market on Sunday (it's only a 5, 10 minute walk, so the draw's irresistible) & I see 2 5 litre jugs of ATF: unknown brand but Dexron 3 so I asked the price - £5? says the man (seemed a bit unsure of what he had). I must've hesitated, 'cos he asked if I wanted both, I said "yes" &, assuming he meant £5 a piece, handed over a tenner - & his wife gave me £5 change. Result!

Anyway when I got back I studied the label a bit closer & it said Dexron IIIh, which was a new one on me. Further reading reveals it's compatible with Chrysler ATF+4. Oh well, not such a bargain - unless I keep the KJ long enough. Meanwhile, it'll do for a top-off in an emergency or, I suppose, for the transfer case, which doesn't seem so fussy/critical.

Back