• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS ohm issue, renix 1990 i6 automatic.

I don't know how to TAP a hole in the TB but that's a brilliant fix. I used gray permatex to seal the hard line hose to the TB connection. I then used a rubber vacuum line for the MAP to the hard line hose and sealed the rubber vacuum line to the hard line with gray permatex too. I verified there's no goop inside. Should I run a better ground for the MAP sensor then too?

I'm very concerned there is an issue with that line.

At idle, spray some carb cleaner all around it slowly. If the cleaner hits a vacuum leak, you'll know!!

Test the ohms reading on the ground wire at the MAP for fun. And yes, you could ground each and every one of those sensors on that ground circuit separately.

I did not seal the connection to the TB just the hard line to the rubber boots that go into the TB.

If the rubber plug got clogged with goop, the MAP sensor thinks the engine vacuum is low and tells the ECU that the engine is under a load, and the ECU holds the injectors open longer....makes for a rich mixture.

Just checked the MAP ground. 2.4 OHMS, Grounded to the chassis ground right 3 inches from it at .5 OHMS. Sprayed electronic cleaner at the MAP hose because I didn't have CARB cleaner. Made no difference. But I am suspect of that still.

Which wire would be the ground for the IAC?
I will isolate the grounds for each of the connectors as whatever is going on with the dipstick is not properly grounding.

Major Update:
A picture truly would've been worth the last thousand words in this thread.
If only I had sent you all a picture you could've told me I was making a huge error in reading my multimeter. I was using the wrong setting to measure the output voltage of the TPS.
You would've caught the error I clearly made and I would've had much of this rectified months ago.

My TPS is outputting .83 volts and honestly probably has been but i was using the wrong reading.

A few updates to my system. I traced down the wire harness and found that it was reading 2.4 ohms all the way to the factory crimps and past that to the left of the grounds. I opened the wire harness further and it still reads 2.4 ohms. I then added a ground directly to the block from the terrible factory crimp and voila .7 ohms all the way to the TPS and MAP so I could reuse those wires if I need to.

Thank you all for your help and especially Cruiser54's website for all the thoughts and suggestions. Now on to muck this thing up again...

Major Update:

A few updates to my system. I traced down the wire harness and found that it was reading 2.4 ohms all the way to the factory crimps and past that to the left of the grounds. I opened the wire harness further and it still reads 2.4 ohms. I then added a ground directly to the block from the terrible factory crimp and voila .7 ohms all the way to the TPS and MAP so I could reuse those wires if I need to.

It's been a while, but I thought one of the brown wires in that crimp went to the ground point by the dipstick. You removed, cleaned, and reinstalled that grounding point, yes?

Back