• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compatable Dash Harness Years for 1990?

RedBolide

NAXJA Forum User
[TLDR: what year dash harnesses work for a 1990?] I've got a '90 that I'm getting back into shape, and since I had to do the heater core, I figured I'd replace my cracked-up dash. I found a '95 dash that was super clean and-- from what I can tell looking at them side by side-- it's a direct swap for the dash itself. As for the harness, it looks like they're different.

The dash harness in my '90 is a nightmare. Loose wires, duct tape, tin foil over fuses-- it's not pretty. I got the full harness with the '95 dash, but they have quite a few differences. I'm planning to hit a parts yard to pull a new harness, but I want to verify the years that are compatible.

From my understanding, the dash wiring should be the same from 1984-1991. Is that correct? I haven't been able to find anything that tells me otherwise since I don't have access to FSMs. Most of the stuff I've replaced has fallen in that year range. I've found an '87 at a yard that has the harness, but I wanted to verify before I spend an afternoon wrangling with the harness. Thanks in advance!

I certainly can't answer the compatibility but nothing that old would be worthwhile. I would just make one out of new wire, yes your going to need a good fsm to get this completed.

I certainly can't answer the compatibility but nothing that old would be worthwhile. I would just make one out of new wire, yes your going to need a good fsm to get this completed.
How come? I figure it's just copper, insulation, and connections. Since the harness is tucked up in the dash too, they seemed to have survived the time pretty well. What's wrong with getting an old harness?

How come? I figure it's just copper, insulation, and connections. Since the harness is tucked up in the dash too, they seemed to have survived the time pretty well. What's wrong with getting an old harness?

Only the age, yes they do get more protection but considering almost 35yrs? If you can find one you would need to inspect it thoroughly!

I guess it depends on how much of the harness you need.

Just remember that the ECU on a Renix is under the dash. The PCM on the '95 is in the engine bay. There may be other "relocations" of components that can impact the wiring harness.

I guess it depends on how much of the harness you need.

Just remember that the ECU on a Renix is under the dash. The PCM on the '95 is in the engine bay. There may be other "relocations" of components that can impact the wiring harness.
My plan was to get everything from the fuse panel (driver side of dash) through the dash, so all the gauges, climate control, dash controls, radio, etc. I was planning to leave the ECM wiring as-is and splice the new harness in. I know it'll have to be a renix harness, but what years? If it's 90 only it might be tough, but if it's 87-90 or 84-90 I might have a chance of finding a good one.

Well the '87, '88 had the C101 connector on the firewall. Not sure if that's an impact but at least, you'll harvest enough wires.

Well the '87, '88 had the C101 connector on the firewall. Not sure if that's an impact but at least, you'll harvest enough wires.
Gotcha, that's definitely helpful. I might be able to get one off a 90 which would be perfect, but I found an 87 that definitely has the harness. I'll update when I finally get it this weekend

Back