• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

egr solenoid

"Once you correct the CO levels, your NOx will rise a bit. The rich condition cools the exh a bit and can lower your NOx levels. Once you clear this, exh temps may rise and increase NOx but the working EGR will keep them in check."

You were spot on here. NOx went up quite a bit on the 2nd test. The only thing I changed though was to put on a new cat.

Yes, no problem with the new cat. It was really close with the old one. These aftermarket cats don't seem to last too long. I passed twice with the old cat which was a Walker.

Nice. Too bad those dang CARB cats are so expensive. Last one I put on was a Walker back in 2014. Had some issues with other components over the next few smogs, but passed no problem this past May.

Good for 2 years!!

It was definitely leaking vacuum from the pintle. After I passed smog, I removed the EGR completely and capped the opening using a egr gasket and piece of steel plate. That was my last known vacuum leak. I haven't had a chance to put the smoke machine back on it to make sure my EGR delete job was good.

I haven't messed with the EGR since I took it off. I was thinking about cleaning it, but when I saw that it would be pretty easy to delete it. I went that way.

Well, you're good for 2 years. save it for next time.

In the meantime, you can pop the lid off the transducer and check the diaphragm. Just make note of which way it goes on. You can check the egr itself with the smoke machine of with a handheld vacuum pump.

mHFtNZ5.jpg

A torn or worn out diaphragm and any cracks in the tubes where the hoses connect. Make sure those short hoses are good too. The diaphragm is pushed by the spring which allows vacuum from the solenoid to vent (low backpressure). When enough back pressure from the exhaust is present, it pushes the diaphragm upwards to close the hole (high backpressure). This allows vacuum to the egr valve. That vacuum then pulls the pintle off it's seat and bleeds exhaust back into the intake.

tBeHKJ7.jpg

xFliglP.jpg

Sadly, the transducer doesn't seem to be available as a separate part as it comes with the EGR. However I have seen some similar on other EGRs. Don't know if they would work.

Back