• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "The Gray Goose"

Yeh I was there summer of 2013 racing my stadium truck almost every Wednesday night. I was sandbagging in the novice class most of the summer Bc I didn't want to pay the $20 entry fee. I didn't try too hard, it was more of a chance to get back on the track and drive. My equipment was outdated (brushed) so I didn't want to race with the unlimited guys. I also ran 2 onroad races with my Losi xxxs with a silvercan in the rookie class one time and sportsman 17.5 for the powers race. What class did you race? BTW, it's actually a trailer hitch cover. Lol

Killer deal on the trailer man. I've thought about picking one up a lot. Going to be towing it with the XJ?

That is the plan. Just need to fix the trailer wiring in the jeep so the lights all work. Then I can test it and see if the 4 pin works on it. Currently has a 7 pin but with a connector that looks like a 4 pin could hook up to it. Until I fix the drainer wiring, I'll be pulling it with my truck.
Took the jeep to Prairie city today with JeepinSeal and had some fun. He broke a ujoints strap bolt and Bent a rim lip. Need to get tires soon so I can drive it and not have to worry about rotted tires and no spare. Good note was I got the gf and her sister into the drivers seat and they enjoyed it a little. They were worried about breaking the jeep but were able to overcome the fear.

Yeah i got steph over that fear pretty quick. I was about to build a trailer or possibly buy a tent trailer but i think we will be moving to a tow rig as well soon. So i think the camping trailer may be gone.

You could always get a slide in camper for the bed of the tow rig. Then take it out of the bed when you get home so the truck can still be dual purpose. Or could get a 4x4 camping van as a tow rig..

Tow rig will likely be a tahoe or yukon. Dual purpose and a daily driver for steph. Id love a cummins but cant justify parking 6 vehicles in front of my house. Plus a trailer and slide in camper.

Three kids can fit in the back of a pickup.. or does Mrs. Smasho carpool extra kids around requiring the third row of a Tahoe? Im assuming the Minivan would be getting replaced by the new towrig/ Steph's dd.

The mpv is getting long in the tooth. So im looking for something that can haul 5+ people comfortably. A tahoe is deffinately up the comfort cruising level and tow 8k.

We will probably still jeep camp but it will be a lot easier to split the gear between two jeeps. But there is no way i want to drive two jeeps to moab next year. So a two rig is necessary. I also dont think ill be sticking to street legal jeeps much longer. The only thing holding me back from that is not having a tow rig to get it anywhere. Im toying with the idea of backhalfing the gorilla. Or using the other fourdoor we have as a truggy base. Eitherway ill need a trailer to get it to the trail.

Id love to have a truck. And it still may come to that. Just having a hard time justifying reg/insurance costs for 6 vehicles. So im going to try and get her to move into a dual purpose vehicle.

Ok, so I decided I'm going to steal some pics from Seal's thread to show the flat I got a few months back.

This was taken just a few miles from my house (Still in Sac) on the way to the Rubicon at around midnight. (Completely de-treaded in some areas)

IMG_2104_zps7bd97835.jpg

IMG_2106_zpsb260ed7a.jpg

Next real update will be a new pile of parts that will be thrown at the Goose. No other hints besides that and I cant wait to get the rest of my parts and get
everything installed. Havnt really driven the thing since the Rubicon because of the tires. Hoping that I can limp it out to the toy run without buying new tires quite yet.

You drove it out to PC when I came up to visit last time. That was when the potato spat it's drive shaft on the ground.

Tow 2 jeeps to Moab with a tahoe? Terrible idea. 2 jeeps with gear would be pushing 9k and a trailer big enough for 2 would be another 3k at least. 12k means something large with a diesel IMHO.

I think Gordo was talking more about trailering one and driving the other to Moab. Dont believe that he meant towing both.

How's the WJ coming along? IIRC the motor blew.. Any luck with finding another and swapping it in?

Nothing yet, 400+ hrs of overtime and 4 hrs of driving per day for the last 6 months doesn't leave much time. Probably buy a reman in February when work is a little slower. Started caging the xj before work got busy again.

Yeh I saw the updates in your thread. Wasn't sure if work was still crazy for you or not. Look forward to running trails with you and the wife again soon hopefully.

OK so a little Update that I promised like a month ago...

Temporary new shoes for the Goose.. Joining the 35" club for a little bit. :explosion

1901125_10152968447594078_7927455213942375510_n.jpg

And my new low mileage trans and T-case; 23 spline (thank you CRASH and XJenson)

10422291_10152968447604078_3553017449167685038_n.jpg

I finally fixed my Struts.. Look Ma, No hands!

10849843_10152968447599078_7559806796525255571_n.jpg

And finally a pic of the blowout I had on the way to the Rubicon.. However long ago that was. If you look close, you can see the slit in the bottom of the tire and most of it de-treading from the carcass. :shiver:

10858625_10152968455964078_7290996864602888941_n.jpg

Plan is to lower the jeep 2-3" and get rid of the transfercase drop.
-new leaves in the rear and take out the 2" spacer up front
-prothane inserts
-swap out my trans and t-case
-HD frame stiffeners
-Rock rings on my new steelies and then mount up my new 33s I bought
-gas tank mod to carry extra fuel
-Gas tank and t-case skid
-Hybrid cage
-New D44 with E-Locker
-rebuild d30 with new u-joints, ball joints, unit bearings, HO knuckles/brakes, and an Aussie
-Rebuild driveshafts with all new u-joints

After all that is done and jeep is solid, I plan to redesign my bumpers. Thats all for now

Last edited:
That is a lot of nice up grades for the Goose. What tires did you get?

Back