• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

collection of jeep stuff(build/blog)

Oh now I see the 87. That's a sweet jeep. The chiefs have the best paint/decal design IMO. The 99's sick as well.

Thanks guys!
The 87 is soon to be sold to my good friend. We're gonna build it up. Low cog and big chops in the fenders to fit 33s!
I convinced him to scrap his sas Tacoma plans haha!
Just need to find a good deal on a 3" lift

I would do a home brew lift. Maybe some ZJ V8 Upcountry coils, spacers or acos up front. Bastard pack and ext. Shackle in rear. Jk take off shocks, and at the very least some wj lower control arms.

Depending on what leafs you use, may need to cut eyes off a main, but otherwise you pull the leaf spring pin, and add/subtract leafs as you see fit. Also, need to remove the "clamps", I recommend using c-clamp or other to keep the spring together while pulling the pin. A single extra main XJ leaf in a stock pack will usually net about 1.5" give or take. I recommend an allen head bolt/nut for a replacement "pin". You may need to slightly grind out the stock hole on the spring perch. Tim, or anyone else near by can help you.
Hmm that my be the call. I already have a zj budget boost I could steal two of those spacers.
Never put together a bastard pack I'll look more into that

Thought I'd give a little update.
I ended up selling my 87 cherokee chief to my good friend mike and we have plans to build it up. Going with the low cog low budget big chopped fenders on 33s route :D
2DB59837-3966-47D1-8505-105CA7FD2AB0_zpsxckw7gqc.jpg

The other week I went to the fun factory and installed a spartan locker in my d30.
Install went smooth and I can hardly tell it's there. Used 85w-140 in it and can't hear it over my exhaust even.
65CB5C48-413A-4BF5-8CF0-18CF51DC8188_zpsqamvrebq.jpg

Made a little progress on the 2dr Qp armor. We bent the dom and cut some stands out for the slider. Still need to buy and bend some more 1/8" flat steel.

I ordered some fox 2.0 shocks and just picked them up yesterday :thumbup: :thumbup:

Going to look at a 01 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton z71 today. If all looks tits Ive got myself a nice truck to daily drive :)

Bummed.. Found today I have a little shimmy of death wobble around 40-45.
I don't run a stabilizer. My rod ends have maybe 2k on them.

Hoping it's the shitty white body shocks or maybe my alignment.. FUNNN begins!! :)

I second Gordon, set toe in and caster first.

look for lose track bar bolts on the track bar and the frame side. look for out of balance tires. loose control arm bolts.bad bushings. check to make sure your jam nuts on your TRES aren't loose.

I know I need to adjust my caster I'm at about 3.5
My jeeps pulls to the right as of now so I'm thinking alignment is a high possibility

My track bar is bolted and welded to my frame with ruffstuffs ota setup

Loose jam nuts is also another probability I gotta double check.

I have some balance beads for my tires I've had since Christmas I guess it's time to throw them in.
Thanks for the input guys I'll get back when all is fixed

tires balanced?

Did you put a breaker bar on the track bar mount bolts and both track bar bolts?

check for worn hiems all around.
worn bushings.

bad ball joints will mostly cause wondering not DW, but they wont help bad DW if they are shot.

ive had really bad ball joints and no DW.

check control arm bolts and bushings.

check the sector shaft coming out of the steering box for play.

make sure you are not missing any wheel weights. swap front tires to back for fun.

check unit bearings for play.

caster, again , keep checking caster.

make sure the 3 steering box bolts are tight. make sure if you run a hiem at the pitman arm that the pitman arm hole isn't wallowed out.

once again, control arm bushings.

also , are your track bar and drag link parallel and same length? can you post pics of your track bar and drag link?

also, its not the "Right" way, but if all else fails, install a stabilizer . I will get flamed for this, but try it out. its cheap.

everything on my rig was perfect,still had DW, gave up and put a brand new 35$ RE stabilizer, good enough for me.

I cant stress enough the importance of putting a breaker bar on everything track bar related and cranking. even with my welded track bar mount if the bolts come loose, it will still get DW. don't under estimate that

check for frame cracks.

My track bar mounts are welded to my unibody
Lemme see if I can find pics

I ordered a ss bracket from wfo concepts.. just got it last night. I definitely wanna find the root of my dw but for now I need to be able to drive on the freeway. This weekend I'll have a lot more time to dig in.

drag link and track bar don't seem to be in the same plane, but it could be the angle of the picture. Since you have all TREs, make sure you didn't wear one out prematurely.
make sure your RS hiems in the track bar are not shot.
make sure the jam nuts are all tight.
and all the other stuff I listed before.

The track bar/drag link angles looks pretty damned good. Tim did a nice job there.

True death wobble is a violent, repetetive shaking of the steering/suspension after hitting a pothole or other bump in the road.

Tire balance issues normally will come and go with vehicle speed, meaning normally no shake at low speeds but gets worse as you drive faster, it may even go away once you get above 70 mph if it isn't that bad.

Jon has some good things to check, basically you are looking for loose parts or movement of the axle when moving the steering wheel slightly from side to side.

And as a rule of thumb, recheck whatever the last thing you did to the rig BEFORE the shaking started and see what may have gone wrong. Sometimes the new parts make whatever else is loose to seem worse after the new parts were installed.

Back