• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering problem and noise. Help Please

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ with 111,000 miles on it. When the Jeep is running and I turn the steering wheel i hear a hissing noise. While driving the jeep and turning around a corner. When i go to straighten the steering wheel out it almost feels as it pulsates while coming back to the home position. Fluid level is good. I just sucked out most the fluid about a week ago with a Turkey Baster. Refilled it with new Dot 3 fluid. Any suggestions?

Was it doing this before you changed out the fluid? have you bled all the air out? if not leave the resevior cap off and rotate the wheel back and forth from lock to lock a few times and see if that helps out. It kind of sounds like air in the system which can be a bugger to get out

newjeepowner said:
Refilled it with new Dot 3 fluid. Any suggestions?

Please tell me you didn't refill with DOT 3 Brake fluid.....

If you did, you have a problem that I wouldn't want to have to correct.

If you didn't then it sounds as though you just need to do a good bleeding of the system to get the air out.

Good luck

Back