• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting of Full size CB radio?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a CB radio (Cobra 29, the Blue Tooth one) and am thinking I want it mounted between the sun-visors but wanted to get other peoples input who may have had it located there or have it else where and what the pro's and con's are!..

Thanks!

i have mine up there. Its in the perfect spot in my opinion. Out of the way of passengers, and not as likely to get damaged. The only thing to worry about is the mic swinging around and hitting passengers. make sure the mic mount is nice and tight.

I love mine up there. I did a simple fab of an aluminum stock mount to keep it up there. The mic cord doesn't get in the way at all.

1104080833.jpg

My Uniden PC68LTW is on the back of my center console. Out of the way and not readily visible.

I'll get one shortly

Does that get in the way of putting the back seat down?

No actually, I can flip the seat bottom forward and still have the seat back fold flat. It's tight but can be done. No problem if you take the seat bottom out, no problems whatsoever. I'll grab a pic of that too.

I have mine up between the visors as well - not as cleanly done as the pic above.

I don't have it hardwired (yet) into power so when not plugged into the cig lighter the cord is wrapped around the mirror.
Took out the keyless entry receiver (never did get the buttons to go along with it) and the cobra bracket screws right into existing holes.

Only problem is the mic falls out of the holder - I bend the tab in but the bumps and hills when 4x4ing loosen it up.

CBMounted002.jpg

Last edited:
Here,

From above.
0427100927a_422401.jpg

The side.
0427100930a_288712.jpg

Seat down, tight, but no excessive pressure on the radio as I can still get fingers in between the seat and the radio with no problem. And obviously no problem with the seat bottom removed. The diamond plate is on the back of the seat and in the floor in the back, but nothing that differs from stock in folding the seat down.
0427100933a_254949.jpg

And if you were to actually look in the vehicle for something, not seen readily passing by. Those are WJ buckets.
jpeg_reencoded_259335.jpg

I have the CB mounted between the visors as well. I think its a great location because the speaker is easy to hear, and the radio is less likely to get wet or dusty. Here's a bad picture of mine:
Bama_xj.jpg

Not a big fan of overhead mounts (or anything mounted over my head) and anywhere I can't see the radio. I ran a 29LTD Classic on the passenger side of my console by the shifter for years. It didn't get in the way of passengers because the space consumption was negligible and the top of the radio was smooth. I had the base mounted to the side of the console and reinforced with a piece of flat bar. Face up so I could see the radio. Never had a problem with theft. As a matter of fact, all the stereo gear and CDs were stolen several years ago and nobody even touched the radio here. Sorry, I don't have pics.

The current radio is a Cobra 19 something or other...and it's mounted on the right hand side of the console, below the dash on the face of the knee bolster. It's even more out of the way now than the 29, but it's also less than half the size. ;)

Oh yeah I have some rubber grommets in there so there's a little flex in my mount. A piece of flatbar inside the console that I have bolted to so it won't pull through the plastic. Did remove the rear seat ashtray so I could do it that way. I hear the radio just fine too. It gets just as dusty as the rest of the interior does.

My next radio will be a cobra 75stwx for the WJ, figured I wanted something smaller for that vehicle.

What about hanging it from the ceiling in the back seat? Basically in the middle? Sepecially if it's on a swivel with some disconnects. Yo0u can still reach up with your arm and reach the mike.

just bouncing thoughts-

I had mine on the side of the center console next to the passenger's legs.
It worked out great there. If it still fits with my new floor "mods" it'll go back in that spot.

Old picture:
CB_mounting.jpg

I have a '95 so I only have a single dim radio. How do people run the coax from the radio to antenna? Any secret holes or tips in running the wire?

Back