• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping the 8.25 for a d-35

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
my moms 95 auto 2wd cherokee ate up its rearend and needs a rebuild or replacement, strength is not an issue on this jeep, it is 100% grocery getter.

i have a dana 35 out of a 1990 xj that i just swapped out for a dana 44.

i will be putting the spider gears back in and i wanted to swap it for the chryco, but the snout of the pinion on the dana 35 is about 3" shorter than the chryco, will i need a driveshaft from a 2wd with a dana 35, or will the stock d/s work?

i know its unusual to swap from stronger axle to weaker axle, but a free down-grade is better than dumping money into a stock axle for a rebuild.

i dont know whats wrong with the chryco, but it sounds like horrible backlash and also bad bearings.

thanks
-tim

Swap the 35 in and have the driveshaft lengthened. Making the driveshaft longer shouldnt cost more than $75 and you already have the dana 35. Beats $250 labor to have new bearings installed plus what ever the cost of parts will be.

AARON

Back