• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginning of 1993 Cheromanche build

Ah.. Thanks Kastein. They did a nice job with the photoshop.

As for the driveline I'm not sure exactly what I plan on doing with it. It will receive attention down the road sometime though. Would love to make it into a sleeper and slide a V8 in it but then all the wiring will have to change.

This holiday weekend hoping to get quite a bit more done but will see how it actually pans out with spending time with the family before I leave for work again. Hope to get the rest of the welding done on the frame so I can get it off the jackstands then start working on everything else. When doing the roof I also plan on filling in the holes from the luggage rack to smooth everything out and give it a cleaner look. Hope to get the rest of the rotted floor of the XJ cut out and get it prepped for new floor. Would like to get rockers put into alignment and get them started.

Would love to make it into a sleeper and slide a V8 in it but then all the wiring will have to change.

This part isn't as hard as you think...

http://www.lt1swap.com/
Everything you need to know about building an LS harness is in there.

Lowering it and clearing the oil pan on an LS motor, now that would be tricky.

Took a break from welding on the jeep while it was a little hot outside. Finally got it so it can rest on it's wheels and off the jackstands. Have one more piece to add to the frame to finish getting it together. Got the top of the doors welded together and part of the roof welded from the xj to the back of the mj. Will get pics posted up later after smoothing out the rest of the welds. While taking a break decided to go in the backyard and have a little fun with the leftovers which yielded this picture. Anyone have any thought or inspirations?

IMGA0047.jpg

Yeah I have a bent up body laying around that I might try this out on one day.....only thing is that with such a short distance between the tranny and rear axle, you would have to run an old school short 4 speed without a transfer case so you wouldnt bind your driveshaft.... Either that or or do IRS....or....something?

Looks alot like a bronco II mixed with a Sami.

Ok some progress pics from the weekend. Got to work on it and got the passenger side pulled together and then welded in place. Lifted the back of it and got the roof lined up and welded up. Now it will be a couple weeks before I get to work on it again as I'm getting sent back to DC again for a week and a half for work. But I am no able to see it standing on it's own wheels and under it's own weight without any jackstands. Checked the wheelbase and it has a wheelbase of approximately 147" which isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

How it is currently sitting in my driveway.
IMGA0050.jpg

Pic of passenger side frame and rockers. Frame is welded then a 1x2" angle plate 9" long welded on top of the spliced frame.
IMGA0051.jpg

Pic of floor that has been cut away to have new metal formed. You can see in the pic the floor has a support piece by the splice that goes from the floor to the rocker. Once I remove this support piece I should be able to bend the rockers down to have them match up with the rockers from the XJ.
IMGA0052.jpg

Pic of the roof pinch seam welded together. Went ahead and threw some flat black on it to prevent any rust from forming while I'm gone.
IMGA0054.jpg

No rear steer will be normal in every aspect except the length. I've gotten the roof almost finished just have to finish welding a few spots then grind it smooth. Working on getting some sheet metal to start forming the floor board, and getting the doors cut and spliced together. Still trying to source a 2 piece shaft for it as would rather pick one up in a JY rather than pay close to $600 for a custom built unit from high angle driveline.

No rear steer will be normal in every aspect except the length. I've gotten the roof almost finished just have to finish welding a few spots then grind it smooth. Working on getting some sheet metal to start forming the floor board, and getting the doors cut and spliced together. Still trying to source a 2 piece shaft for it as would rather pick one up in a JY rather than pay close to $600 for a custom built unit from high angle driveline.

Try looking for a 2WD long box extended cab truck. The Chevy 1500s are a 2 piece with carrier support. May be a good starting point for length.

so... is this project dead or what?

No not dead it's still sitting in my driveway. Been traveling for work quite a bit since the project started. Originally wanted to have it done and back together by halloween, now I'm hoping I can stay home sometime to be able to get it done by thanksgiving. Been in DC, NYC, and now San Fran/Oakland since the project started. I've gotten the roof set in place and half way welded in place just need to finish welding it up. I got the 18GA sheet for the new floor pan and some 10GA 3" angle 8' long pieces to build some frame stiffeners. Just have to get home and be home long enough to get some work done. Not supposed to be home until 11/5 so right after that I'm gonna post up a call in the SEC to see if I can get a few people with grinders, cut off wheels, and some good fab skills to hopefully get quite a bit done.

I really like this build, and am looking forward to seeing the end result - 4-door MJs have always had an appeal to me that I can't quite explain :D

Kinda related to this: has anyone seen a 2-door XJ front grafted onto an MJ rear? There's something equally-appealing about an extended-cab Comanche with a little more room behind the seats for gear and stuff you don't want exposed to the elements.

Back