• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripped hex on 231

GreenXJ2K

NAXJA Forum User
I stripped the drain hex plug, any ideas on how to get it out??? I was still able to change the fluid, used a shop-vac.

The plug is hollow, but I think it's aluminum...

Use a centre punch or a prick punch to mark the centre of the plug. Give it one AND ONLY ONE good swat with a hammer - this also helps to dislodge the threads.

Drill out the plug on the punch mark - penetrate slowly, so you don't push chips into the transfer case.

Use an EZ-Out to turn the plug internally. Of course, you'll have to source a new plug - either OEMR (dealer or junkyard,) maybe from the Help! section at your local, or just overdrill and tap for a pipe plug (probably 3/4"NPT or 1"NPT, I'm not sure.)

5-90

Yea that happened to me a couple weeks ago...went to the stealership to get one ($5) (didnt know what size or thread pitch or would have gotten one from local part store)before I started on it....drill it out and get a extractor set to get it out...I started with the smallest size bit and extractor so I wouldnt make a big hole and couldnt try another one that might have worked....get a ratchet and socket that will work on the end of the extractor and get a good bite on it going counter-clockwise and it will come out

Pipe wrench, Vise Grips, Parrot-beak pliers, or even channel locks. Any of those should grab it and break it loose. Forget that drilling stuff.

Any way you slice it, you're gonna need a new drain plug though.

I just changed the fluid on my 88. the plugs suck! I fought with the drain and it finally came out with out rounding it. Lucky me I would not risk drilling into the plug at all unless I had the case apart. the top plug was another story. I tried channel locks, Pipe wrench tapping on it to free the threads. A big f'in cresent wrench. the head hieght was to short to get any bite. Broke down and bought a 30mm 1/2 drive craftsman socket for around 7.50 i needed it anyway. I bet the plug from a dealer will be twice that.

I the past I have pounded a slightly larger TORX in to the rounded out Allen head hole, then apply heat to the case near the plug with a propane torch. then try to wrench it out.

Back