• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noise...it's driving me nuts!

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
For the past few days, every time I would hit the brake, or put my XJ in reverse, I would hear an audible click, click, click from under my dash. (It almost sounds like when the rear defroster turns off). It's doing it almost constantly and i can't locate the source. Any ideas?
It also happens when I have my blinker on, when my windshield wipers are on delay, or for no good reason at all...

Also, my blinkers are REALLY slow. ive changed the flasher, and it works fine for a day or so, but it goes right back.

In an unrelated question, I notice that under neath my dash, there is a yellow box that has wires going into it, and the words "AMC" on it. What is it?

There is also a clear box, about 2" long, 1" wide that has a bunch of plastic gears in it. It says something to the effect of "smog-check" or something like that. Any ideas?

I'll take a stab at the last two questions.
The yellow box is the cruise control module.
The clear plastic box is the emissions maintenance timer - you can yank that one with no ill effect.

My rear wiper stuck in the middle, caused a clicking in the fuse box, guess it was a circuit breaker. The rear motor tries to zero itself or park itself and will overheat when it can´t.

Well,

All my electrics work fine, it's just really annoying

try testing it with the fan off- I had a chunk of tape that sat near my fan-every time I`d hit a bump its get close enough to pop it an make evil clicky noises-- if its a constant click, feel the relay in the fuse box- a relay going bad will do this when electrical load is put on it(tail lights on/blinkers)

When(if) you pull the maintenance timer, remember- the bulb in the dash that lights MANT. fits every other socket on the board. If you burn one, remember its there for replacement.

yea, iv got a constant clicking whenever i hit the brakes, i think its from when i turned real sharp goin like 20 in a mud puddle and bent somthin on the brakes, its been like this for 5 months, i just ignore it now cause the brakes work fine

Back