• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance 4.0 build

Can you post some pics and more details?

Details as in what?

This jeep really is in good condition rust and rot wise. Brand new rear brake line now as I blew it out moving it in the driveway.

details meaning pics of the whole jeep, total miles (love the work on the 4.0), condition of interior, rust on rockers and under carriage etc...

details meaning pics of the whole jeep, total miles (love the work on the 4.0), condition of interior, rust on rockers and under carriage etc...

got ya.... this week i will be driving it around a few places and to get the emissions done and legit plates.

we did a rear brake line since the factory one blew. stops great now.
this has aftermarket air shocks in back, been crawling around under it and no rot that i can see, rear pass side quarter looks like something went up into it and bent the pinch seam a little but nothing major. over all the thing just need a good cleaning and someone to take a day to wash, wax and buff the outside. inside is good too, no major stains that i can see, power seats work in all directions, driver seat is cracked some but the other ones are like new, smells a little musty but that's just from sitting.

i'll try to get them up tomorrow or at least this week. we are also hoping everything will work out so we can get this thing on the dyno to get a few numbers out of it.

I've been driving it for a few days now, never driven a stock XJ before, but this thing is nice. Nice smooth acceleration, torquey, smooth down the road at 70 and a nice sound through the stock exhaust.
A 5 speed would be a lot nicer though.

First oil change. 30 psi hot idle, 45 psi running down the road, std volume pump.
nqe0.jpg

Washed up and tires wheels cleaned.
6ACF5C20-99B1-4272-AC3C-6970DB7AAEA2-1620-000001408BE9F10F_zps62c39ea9.jpg

There's a CEL on for 1094? (I'll have to double check later)

no dyno numbers yet:looser:

~Alex

Thanks.

The shop I used to work at has been using Spectro oils for a while now with no issues and its affordable. They are a CT based company and their salesman delivers cases of oil himself.
http://www.spectro-oils.com/company/

15 is enough at idle. What pressure do you have off idle and what weight oil?

My other XJ with 217K has 40 idle and 60 driving using 10w30

Wish I had 30lb hot idle oil pressure. I'm lucky to see 20. Usually closer to 15...

Same here. Hot idle has been just about the 10lb mark for as long as I remember. 10w30 or 5w30, makes no difference. Next change is going to be 15w40, I'll see if it helps.

Well, actually...

Per the FSM, hot idle oil pressure anything above 12psi is acceptable. It is one of the things that I find unnerving about the 4.0 as everything else I have ever owned idled at at least twice that. My off idle pressure is around the 40 pound mark which is also, IMO, acceptable.

All of which makes me wonder how a 30psi hot idle is achieved. Really makes me wonder that does.

Nah, I've never verified my oil pressure with a mechanical. It's been running this way for years. I don't know if it's related, but once upon a time I broke the OEM sending unit while removing the filter & opted to replace it with the cheap one at Autozone.

I knew a girl with a 2000 XJ 4.0 that held a 40lb hot idle. She was alarmed to see the gauges in mine. A bit unnerving for me, too - I'd just assumed they *all* did that.

Well, actually...

Per the FSM, hot idle oil pressure anything above 12psi is acceptable. It is one of the things that I find unnerving about the 4.0 as everything else I have ever owned idled at at least twice that. My off idle pressure is around the 40 pound mark which is also, IMO, acceptable.

All of which makes me wonder how a 30psi hot idle is achieved. Really makes me wonder that does.

I'll take a look at my blueprint sheet and post up oil clearances over the weekend.

Some bearing clearance high/low limits can be a bit frightening as well.

~Alex

decided to pay attention to the gauge today after reading this thread in the morning, I'm pulling ~14 psi hot idle and 40-50 at cruising speed.

stock 2000 87,000 mile 4.0 /aw4.

Hot idle on my 72k mile old stroker is around 25psi, 40+psi at 1500rpm, and 50+psi at 2000+rpm. That's with 10W-40 grade semi-synthetic.
The oil pressure hasn't changed since the engine was new.

Oil clearances

Mains.
1: .0026
2: .0028
3: .0026
4: .0026
5: .0028
6: .0027
7: .0029

Rods.
1: .0022
2: .0025
3: .0025
4: .0026
5: .0023
6: .0023

A small hole in the front pipe plug for timing chain oiling .022 IIRC.

After a long highway trip with a few miles it will actually dip to about 25psi at idle.

~Alex

Back