• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance 4.0 build

Looks great Alex!

Just out of curiosity, Is there a possibility of building us a motor when the time comes? Your attention to detail speaks volumes.

Thanks,
You'll have to ask me when the time comes... Between school, work and other projects time can be a scarce thing but let me know and I'll see what I can do, If not I'll put you in contact with the shop I used to work for. Afterall, they're the ones who taught me everything I know about engine building.

~Alex

I'll take that insulation mat off the top of the intake manifold. It holds heat in and it actually makes the vapor lock problem worse. My mom's 2000 cherokee had a very bad vapor lock issue. I took off the factory insulation heat shield off and it improved. Just run a heat shield mat under the intake manifold. That's what I did to mine with the thermotec insulation wrap. Dr.Dyno also did the same thing. His article is where I got my idea about the heat wrap from.

I'll take that insulation mat off the top of the intake manifold. It holds heat in and it actually makes the vapor lock problem worse. My mom's 2000 cherokee had a very bad vapor lock issue. I took off the factory insulation heat shield off and it improved. Just run a heat shield mat under the intake manifold. That's what I did to mine with the thermotec insulation wrap. Dr.Dyno also did the same thing. His article is where I got my idea about the heat wrap from.

Balls!
I really don't want to take the intake back off to cover the under side (and spend even more on the thermal barrier. Has anybody had good results just wrapping the fuel rail?

Balls!
I really don't want to take the intake back off to cover the under side (and spend even more on the thermal barrier. Has anybody had good results just wrapping the fuel rail?

Don't worry about it. Just take the factory heat barrier off. Nice build by the way. :) I think Dr. Dyno installed the heat wrap with the intake manifold on his engine. He also used some straps just in case a detaches from the intake. http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/manifold.html

I think Dr. Dyno installed the heat wrap with the intake manifold on his engine.

Yes indeed I did and it wasn't that difficult. I made a paper template first and then used that as a pattern to cut the Thermotec blanket to the appropriate size.

Looks nice, what are the specs?
:cheers:

4.7L
Bored 0.060" over
Deck shaved 0.020"(0.0015" deck)
Head shaved 0.020"(Not intentional, remanufactured head came that way!)
~55cc combustion chamber
22cc dished piston - KB IC944
258 4cw short nose Crankshaft
MOPAR P4529229AD Camshaft
Bosch 0280155715 injectors - May need to go higher later.
SCR - 9.84:1
DCR - 8.59:1

Will you be doing a chassis dyno pull when you are done?

I'd like to get this on a dyno at some point, I'll need to read up on how to hold it in 3rd gear for the whole pull though.

I'd like to get this on a dyno at some point, I'll need to read up on how to hold it in 3rd gear for the whole pull though.
Or 2nd gear for the whole pull.

Or 2nd gear for the whole pull.

If that's the the usual gear for an AW4 dyno pull then yes, 2nd gear.

Also, can anybody tell me what, or more importantly where this bolts to?
imagetpo.jpg

Hopefully this will be running by this evening.

Is there a hole some where on the passenger side of the block for a small bolt or nut? I think that bolts on to the block.

The only bolt within reach was the one for the engine dip stick and a few other grounds. I had to drill the hole out to the next size up since I broke the factory stud when I was pulling the engine. Seems to be working fine at the moment.

IT STARTED!!!

And immediately started making some sort of terrible thumping/slapping sound. I just about pooped myself and turned it back off. After a bit of head scratching I took the serp belt off and fired it up and it was perfect, other than the alternator light now being one..
After seeing it wasn't an engine problem I put the belt back on and left it a little loose and tried to watch and listen to find the problem. The slapping sound was from the belt poping (like when you fold a leather belt in half and pop it) on the damper. I couldn't see any of the pulleys stopping or skipping. With the belt off again the power steering pump felt a little crunchy, the tensioner pulley, alternator and water pump are all new and the AC pump and fan pulley all spun freely. Yay, more new parts for this jeep.

That, and injectors 1&2 are leaking fuel from around the fuel rail, so I'm going to need a new fuel rail, it looked iffy when I was putting it back on the jeep last week.

Am I missing something for the top mount of the radiator?
imageezk.jpg

~Alex

Back