• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed oil. car dies now.

Anak. I went to my go to for wiring and spent like $10 for enough stuff to solder in a new ground. Knukonceptz is always my go to.
I am pretty much gonna copy your guide
cept I am gonna run a ground from the block side to the negative on the battery. call it overkill. but I am taking no chances at this point.

If replacing the coil fixes this I am gonna be so confused.
but I am replacing the $7 ebay coil with an msd blaster one.

Extra grounds certainly won't hurt.

I don't recall exactly what the difference was, but I do recall that I had some notable improvement when I ran a new, larger ground between the battery and the top of the radiator support. It may have been that my headlights ceased acting like they were wired by Lucas. It was something of that scale. I have since added in relays for my headlights, really putting an end to that nonsense.

Having a good source for quality wiring components is important. I have been using Waytek for a couple of decades. They don't scale down particularly well for most folks' needs, but I don't mind having enough on hand to not have to worry about it the next time. It doesn't seem like copper ever gets cheap.

The link for the one you bought isn't taking me anywhere useful. Hard to compare without half the comparison.

That said, if the plug is the same the odds are the two are interchangeable (assuming both have the same external properties/mounting provisions). Folks have been playing around with distributor innards for decades. There are a number of different ways to trigger a coil (or computer).

The link for the one you bought isn't taking me anywhere useful. Hard to compare without half the comparison.

That said, if the plug is the same the odds are the two are interchangeable (assuming both have the same external properties/mounting provisions). Folks have been playing around with distributor innards for decades. There are a number of different ways to trigger a coil (or computer).

I realized that.
Thats why there is three links :p
One distributor has the plate plastic and sensor.
the other has some internal thing under the rotor

New grounds installed. and additional grounds added at the dipstick location.
she runs different. **Better Different*
but not fixed.
Feels like out of timing now. about to go re-index my distributor in case it somehow moved.
**I have the ears cut off The motor is a stroker.** I will double check we are 3cm at cylinder 1tdc just like I did when I finally got her running initially.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html

Bought a new o2 sensor.
after fixing grounds
All symptoms are gone except for in drive. trying to give the car any throttle. rpms just bounce. the car acts like its out of timing the way she dies.
In neutral. No issues at all.
So I bought an o2 sensor.
probly buying another cps too.

Any other ideas ? since we now have all neutral issues solved only in gear it bounces. I honestly feel like she only has issues once she warms up to 1/4 of the way up the gauge.
She started stumbling while under small load

New O2 sensor is here.
Its pretty rainy outside today so I am gonna wait to install this thing.
Im gonna pull and replace the plugs - even tho they did'nt look bad. Im running out of things to replace here...

I keep running into other posts where this is failed cps being replaced by another faulty cps.
About to buy another one of those for giggles at this point....

Were getting down to this being one of the comptuers I believe.
Time for a junkyard run.

It's a puzzle.

If I could think of something else useful to contribute I would, but short of putting hands on the vehicle I am stumped.

Shouldn't have changed the oil! :roll: :roll:

Bosch O2 sensor installed.
No change.

Bought another CPS. might swap back in the old one- but the wiring seems burned. so on the bench it sits.

Half of me thinks.
I had a bad ground.(which is now fixed)
I changed the cps to a faulty one.
car runs like doo doo with bad cps.
next step is starting to unlplug and replug all the engine harnesses and look for burn marks. opening up the pcm and ecm casing to look for burned chips/caps that have blown. (this is a 30 year old car almost)
Lucky me I can do small electronics board repair if it comes to that...

Blu3fan,

A question on the CPS installs you're doing. Are you you just swapping the CPSs in and out? Or, are you drilling out one(1) hole larger(i.e. to get the CPS center electrode closer to the flywheel teeth to generate a higher voltage spike) and then slotting the holes for a faster swap-out?

Best regards,

CJR

the one that was in there was cut out.
the one i have in there now is not cut.
I just got another one yesterday.

After sitting for a week shes now misfiring at idle again.
no amount of wiggling wires creates any noticeable change.

Just pulled the plugs again.
All are perfect. which drives me crazy...

I just retarded the timing by 2 degrees to see if it would change anything.
no change.

Once I stop being frustrated... like an hour ima go throw this other crank position sensor into her.

Did you do a compression check on each cylinder? Did you place a vacuum gage on to check what the engine vacuum is doing? Have you looked for any intake manifold leaks; i.e. cracked manifold, loose bolts,leaking IAC etc.?

Best regards,

CJR

Bosch O2 sensor installed.
No change.

Bought another CPS. might swap back in the old one- but the wiring seems burned. so on the bench it sits.

Half of me thinks.
I had a bad ground.(which is now fixed)
I changed the cps to a faulty one.
car runs like doo doo with bad cps.
next step is starting to unlplug and replug all the engine harnesses and look for burn marks. opening up the pcm and ecm casing to look for burned chips/caps that have blown. (this is a 30 year old car almost)
Lucky me I can do small electronics board repair if it comes to that...

Which 02 up/down?
I've had Bosch, I've also replaced Bosch with ntk o2 which are what comes factory. apparently these jeeps run finicky without these ntk/ngk sometimes.
Maybe a factor for you, maybe not.

whole day of driving later- confirmed cps was bad.
I think fixing all that other crap made her run wayy better too...
Until the next issue arrises LOL

Woohoo!!

Bummer you had to work that hard to get there, but glad you got 'er straightened out.

Back